WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

CS5 Anyone

Old 18-09-11, 20:14

Default CS5 Anyone

My son is taking Media Studies at A level and says my version of Photshop (CS2) isn' t the same as they are using at college. He is going to check but my guess is they are on CS5.

So - who's using it, and is it worth the upgrade given I probably don't use half the capability of CS2 and do a lot of basic editing in Lightroom3. That said, if I buy it now on his behalf I can get the eductaion price of around £190 rather than the full £500.

All thoughts welcome.
Old 19-09-11, 10:29

Short answer, don't know. I would try asking at your Sons college about education price. They may be able to help.
Old 19-09-11, 11:42

Nigel, why not take advantage of Adobes one months free trial. Follow the link to see a list of differences of the various versions, unfortunately CS2 is not listed as the comparisons only go back as far as CS3.

http://www.photographyuncapped.com/c...hop-cool-tips/

You can upgrade from CS2 at a cost of £190.
Old 16-11-11, 11:43

CS5 certainly has more features than CS2, the most notable (imho) being content aware fill which is incredibly useful for getting rid of unwanted aspects to images.

Is it worth the money for the upgrade? For your son, probably yes just so he is using the same at home as at college. For you, probably not - if you are happy just using Lightroom you will probably not bother with most of the features in PS, and certainly not the full on power of CS5.

I have had every version of PS since PS6 and while with every new version they have added useful extra features, the bare bones of what I do most with it I could do with PS6. The extra features make working faster and more convenient but an awful lot is still pretty much the same.
Old 16-11-11, 23:00

Thanks for you input Snapy. I had done nothing about it whilst waiting to upgrade my PC as my Lightroom3 was struggling a bit, however that upgrade is now in place and my I5 processor with 6GB RAM is eating anything I throw at it so I might follow Wolfie's suggestion and give the month trial a go.
Old 17-11-11, 03:39

I agree with snappy, the biggest difference is content aware filling that works well mostly and saves a lot of time.

With 6GB of RAM you wont have any problems running it!
Old 18-11-11, 07:05

Your son would qualify for a full copy of any Adobe product as a student. it may be worth looking into that. I think CS5 is a good upgrade from CS2. Good luck to your son in his course
Old 18-11-11, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenvic View Post
Your son would qualify for a full copy of any Adobe product as a student. it may be worth looking into that. I think CS5 is a good upgrade from CS2. Good luck to your son in his course
The student discount is also applicable to family members. Even so it's still enough money that I'm not jumping at it - I qualify due to a course my wife's on till next september.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 26-11-11, 23:41

I would agree with wolfie - try the free trial version. That said however, I use CS5 and have used all since Photoshop7 - CS5 is worthy of your upgraded computer and content aware fill is not the only bonus - 64bit use is also an advantage as is the increased speed you will now get. I used to do things in the old days where you could have a brew while letting Photoshop chug away at a simple action - now, 16Gb RAM and a multi core Mac Pro and I've scarcely pressed enter before several processes are complete. Good luck to your lad with his course.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 27-11-11, 09:41

, My Quad core + 8Mb running on an SSdrive still chugs along when photo stacking using CS5.

Harry