WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikkor 70-300mm VR

Old 01-01-07, 21:16

Default Nikkor 70-300mm VR

Hi I have a question. I bought the New Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens on saturday.

Only just had a chance to open it and read the instructions.

In the intructions it say teleconverters "All models" are incompatible. Has anyone had experience of using teleconverters with this lens. I was planning on investing in a Nikon teleconverter.

Any comments would be welcome.

Nogbad
Old 02-01-07, 12:08

In general auto-focus modules don't work too well if the maximum aperture (effective) is greater than f5.6. The 70-300VR is an f4-5.6 lens so adding a 1.4X TC would make it f5.6-8 and your camera would struggle to autofocus.

I once had a 80-400VR f4.5-5.6 where all Nikon TC's were incompatible but the Kenko range did work and maintained VR also, IQ was bad so the idea was scrapped.

I must advise that a TC is only recommended with the finest glass in front. As the TC is spreading the light of the rear element of the primary lens it will exaggerate all imperfections and add its own. I.E. Chromatic Aberration (CA) will no doubt increase and sharpness may decrease.

I have two TC's and they are fine with 70-200VR f2.8 and 300 f2.8, they are not recommended for use with 28-70 f2.8 as the rear element will smash into the TC if used - I don't want that risk!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-07, 12:27

Nogbad,
Have a look at www.dpreview.com under Nikon lens talk, about 2 days back, there you will find a test with charts and telegraph poles etc and lots of comments regarding the use of Kenko 1.4TC, with the 70-300 VR Nikkor lens.
If you have already seen it, sorry to have wasted your time.
regards Subzero.
Old 02-01-07, 13:05

What Stephen said.

And according to Yossi (BF and dpreview) you can use the Nikon AF TCs on the lens IF you first remove a small metal tab from the TC. But from the images I have seen, it's not worth the hassle.

User comments suggest this is a nice little lens decidedly better than earlier versions.

Feel free to post test photos of brick walls. We won't complain.
Old 02-01-07, 18:30

Thanks 2 all for your comments and suggestions. I havent had time to play yet so Sunday will be the 1st chance so watch this space.

I dont necessarily want to use a TC with it (the one I have is cheap!) i just wondered if I needed the extra power if it was possible.

I really cant wait for the aviation season to start to try it out it. I am expecting great things from the lens.

Thanks to all!

Nogbad
Old 02-01-07, 20:44

If you go on my website my photos from flying legends 2006 where taken with Stephans 70-200 and 1.4x tc.