WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Converter help please.

Old 12-11-06, 13:09
Super Moderator

Tannin another little point I found, I stand at the distance I want to take the photo then use the zoom to find the object and then fine tune with the focus. If it won't zoom and you can't get a clear focus, then you have to move yourself because you are not within the working length of the zoom position. I think I have explained it right. If not someone else might pop in to correct me.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 12-11-06, 13:51
Super Moderator

Another example Tannin, what I like is the better close focusing you get. I used for next next test the 21mm Ext tube on my 80-400mm lens F8 and the on top flash on my 30D. The closest you can focus is 9ft. But with the 21mm tube I could focus down to 3ft at 400mm. The first photo was taken from a 3ft away from the grasses I did have to move my body slightly until I could hear the af wanting to focus. The second photo is a 100% crop. I have done nothing to the photos apart from the conversion and the crop, no sharpening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2374.jpg (78.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2374a.jpg (56.5 KB, 4 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 12-11-06, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
It wouldn't auto-focus, and the manual focus was weird, really weird. I did sort of OK by just focusing manually roughly and then moving the camera to fine-tune, but it was weird. Perhaps I was predisposed to expect it not to work and could have tried a little harder. In any case, I soon found that the leaf hopper was fairly docile and went back to the trusty 60mm macro after all. Sounds as though I had better experement some more though, Sapphire!
You lose two stops with a 2x converter and that means the lens will not autofocus as the Canon body will not autofocus if it thinks the aperture of the lens is greater than f5.6 or with some models f8. Some people ''tape the pins'' to overcome the problem or use a converter without the relevent pins (Tamron) but I'm not sure which pins they tape. Puzzled by the weird manual focus bit, maybe just a very dark viewfinder due to the 2 stops loss making it hard to see properly.