WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Upgrading

Old 29-01-09, 15:47

Default Upgrading

H i,
I have a fuji 5500+ a 1.7 tele conversion lens. I would like to up grade a little bit the camera I have in mind is a Canon 450 D + tamron 70 - 300 lens. Am I being a little bit too ambitios or would this be a good move Allan.
Old 29-01-09, 18:49

I'd say it's never too ambitious to move to a dSLR. You'll find it's a bit of a steep learning curve to begin with, but you'll soon get the hang of it. As for the lens, it all depends on what sort of pictures you want to take, which specific lens you are talking about, and what your budget is.
Old 29-01-09, 19:58

Hello yelvertoft,
Thanks for your reply. My budget for a lense would be at the lower end say £200 to £250. But If I purchase a new SLR I can purchase this lense at a bundle price of £110. TAMRON 70 - 300 f 4/5.6 di ld Machro priced at £220.As I live near the sea I like to take pictures of ships and marine life in general. Allan
Old 29-01-09, 21:36

I've no wish to put you off but this looks like the same bundle I initially tried to buy at Jessops, I hope you have better luck than I did as I waited a very long time and in the end cancelled my order with Jessops as they just cannot get the 450D bodies from Canon.

In the end I purchased my 450D at an independant retailer, it came boxed with an 18-55mm lens and I purchased an Canon EF 70-300mm lens seperately because I got fed up of waiting. Buying independantly will also see you spending around £200 more so if your prepared to wait longer than I did, good luck.

Saying that, if you have a Jessops on the Islands and they have the bundle in stock, get it if thats the one you want.

Great camera and as yelvertoft says, a steep learning curve but well worth it

Last edited by Trevor; 29-01-09 at 21:41.
Old 01-02-09, 18:48

Trevor,
Guess what I tried to get a bundle from them on Friday and its out of stock. But will get one someway or other. Thanks to you both for advice. Allan
Old 01-02-09, 20:19

It's looking like bad news on that offer as well, www.warehouseexpress.com had a very similar offer on until a few days ago when it was withdraw on their website (around the same time I oroginally replied and about £50 more) but I notice today on their website that it has jumped up in price by nearly £150!

Here is their offer now
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1025953
Old 01-02-09, 22:22

Not meaning to sound like a 'stick-in-the-mud', but there's some absolutely fantastic deals on the older 400d and bundles.....
Retailers don't want to hang onto the older models, so keep a keen eye out on clearance prices, because you are more likely to get a steal. The 400d is quite a cracking camera, and very similar to 450d.
Hope you manage to get what you're after.
cheers
Old 04-02-09, 13:38

Unless your determined to get a Canon then for the price this may suit you better and will give the same focal length range and save you over £200 and I can say with some certainty that the kit lenses are very good. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1026833

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 14-02-09, 13:29

personaly i would get a cheaper 400d and a canon 55-250 IS i used a 450d even tho the LCD screen was larger and it has live view i wasnt impressed with the build quality spend the extra on a better lens imo the tamron 70-300 isnt upto much
Old 14-02-09, 21:02

Default upgrading

Hi have ypu tried canon refurbishing site [accsess thru ebay only].all items sold by canon full makers warentry.but you will have to bid tobuy . good luck regards john