WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Photoshop Raw settings

Old 26-01-07, 18:33

Default Photoshop Raw settings

Hi can anyone help? I have Elements 3 and CS 2

I downloaded an update to enable Nef files to be opened by Elements 3 from my D200.

Trouble is when I open the image in Editor the RAW conversion window no longer comes up but a much reduced box with a slider for exposure compensation, and a drop down menu for WB settings only.

Is there any way I can set CS2 to open the files from my card reader into adobe Bridge by default??

I am tearing my hair out?

Nogbad
Old 26-01-07, 21:05

I cannot really help with converting NEF's in photoshop but I will state there is no finer RAW converter for any NEF than Nikon Capture NX.

Capture NX applies the cameras settings to the image which can be altered and adjusted. No other RAW converter does this to a Nikon file. Better still NX uses non-destructive editting and saves an 'edit list' that can be changed months after an image has been finished.

Use photoshop for final image editting such as resizing and sharpening and leave RAW to NX.
Old 26-01-07, 21:37

Thanks Stephen, I have heard and read a lot about Capture NX and how good it is.

I will go out and buy it tomorrow. One question does it open the RAW files as the default application when I pug my card Reader in?

Many thanks for you help

Nogbad
Old 26-01-07, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
Thanks Stephen, I have heard and read a lot about Capture NX and how good it is.

I will go out and buy it tomorrow. One question does it open the RAW files as the default application when I pug my card Reader in?

Many thanks for you help

Nogbad

There is a browser that shows thumbnails of images that could be in a folder or CF card.

Before you buy check out the trial version downloaded from the Nikon website. This trial version is fully featured but only works for 30 days.
Old 26-01-07, 21:56

Thanks stephen I will download the trial.

Nogbad
Old 27-01-07, 12:25

Hi Nogbad

The problem you have is a common one. When you downloaded the .8bi file for the raw conversion in elements, it also went into the Plugins in PS2/Plugins and countermanded the CS2 raw converter.
You have to go into the plugins folder in PS2 and rename the *.8bi file for Elements or delete it from that folder.
It also happens when you load Nikon Capture and I would expect Nikon NX.

Brian