WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Photo paper

Old 05-02-07, 14:55

Blacmarlin thanks for the tip - will be going to Aldi's tomorrow, well worth a try at that price.
Old 05-02-07, 20:50

Inacar,

for me ONLY Ilford Galerie (German spelling?) Smooth Pearl (280g), with Smooth Gloss (280g) coming a close second, or Smooth Heavyweight Matt (200g). PermaJet also puts out some fine papers like Belgian Linen (canvas-based).
If you've got a decent 6-8 ink printer, feed it decent (which relates to more expensive) paper. Having said that, not everything that ALDI, or LIDL for that matter, offers has to be of sub-quality just because it is cheap!
And Blackmarlin, ALDI here is flogging that paper for €4.99 (3.29 quid) and an Epson Stylus 895EX for €199 ;-)))
Old 05-02-07, 21:32
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0510 View Post
Inacar,

for me ONLY Ilford Galerie (German spelling?) Smooth Pearl (280g), with Smooth Gloss (280g) coming a close second, or Smooth Heavyweight Matt (200g).
interested in your liking Ilford galerie. Not that I don't like it, but that compared to almost any Epson paper, I find it incredibly difficult to remove colour casts. This may be just my slightly ancient Epson 1290 printer, but much less trouble on any matt, Epson gloss and about to try Epson semi-gloss.
Old 05-02-07, 22:06

Paul I think that Aldi selling that paper for 4.99 Euros in Germany just goes to show how much we are ripped off.

Alan

Last edited by blackmarlin; 05-02-07 at 22:09.
Old 05-02-07, 22:14

Chris, in answer to your question about fade, My mother has two portraits in her living room of my neices two little girls, she has had them on her wall for 12 months now and neither shows any sign of fading, I thought fading would show a problem with the ink you're using and not the paper.

Alan
Old 05-02-07, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarlin View Post
Paul I think that Aldi selling that paper for 4.99 Euros in Germany just goes to show how much we are ripped off.

Alan
Alan
But Aldi is a German company, and yes we probably are being ripped off. Shipping should not make that much difference.

Ian
Old 06-02-07, 09:09
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarlin View Post
Chris, in answer to your question about fade, My mother has two portraits in her living room of my neices two little girls, she has had them on her wall for 12 months now and neither shows any sign of fading, I thought fading would show a problem with the ink you're using and not the paper.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I have to admit to using dodgy ink sometimes as the genuine Epson became 'legacy' and double original already horrendous price - don't tell me I need a new modern printer, ghaa

However the set that faded alarmingly was on budget A3 paper which I used for an exhibition of family pics at mother-in-laws 90th birthday do, hence my suspicion on paper.
Old 06-02-07, 17:35

Default photopaper.

Hi Chris,
I had a similar problem with my Canon printer, what we found out is that you have to watch the shelf life of the ink cartridges themselves. Then other problem I had was with an Epsom all in one unit I bought, I went through ink like nobodys business so I weighed it up and for the cost of three black Epsom cartrides I could buy a new Canon Printer, so I bought an IP 3000, seperate ink tanks and most important no chip to worry about so I can use any manufacturers cartridges. At the moment I buy my ink from Tesco, £10.00 for all three colours and I think about £6.00 for the black and they last for ages. Even if you buy Canons own they are £7.99 each for the colours and £9.99 for the black. The printer will also print straight to disc. I recommend that when you have to replace your printer you think seriously about a canon and always ask about the price of replacement cartridges as the price of theses can be horrendous as you have found out.

Alan

Last edited by blackmarlin; 06-02-07 at 17:41.
Old 06-02-07, 19:59

Thanks for the information. I have tried several kinds and always come back to Kodak Ultra.

"It's just one opinion and you know everyone's got one."
Old 07-02-07, 14:07

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacar View Post
Thanks for the information. I have tried several kinds and always come back to Kodak Ultra.
I use the same.