WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 18-200mm

Old 28-02-07, 21:47

Default Nikon 18-200mm

What do you think of these? I think they are soft, and I can't work out if it's me,or the lens or both!
Settings: auto, VR on, hand held, f5.6,1/250 at 200mm auto w/b
at about 15-18ft
Thanks
Lello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jay.jpg (106.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg jay1.jpg (108.7 KB, 51 views)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 28-02-07, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
Settings: auto, VR on, hand held, f5.6,1/250 at 200mm auto w/b
at about 15-18ft
Thanks
Lello
Lello,

Initial thought is aperture. The 18-200 is f3.5 to f5.6. In this case that means f3.5 is the widest aperture at the 18mm end and f5.6 the widest at the 200mm end. For a lens of this zoom range sharpness will increase as the lens is stopped down. MTF tests that I have seen suggest f8-f11 for this focal length.

The next question is severity of crop. It also appears to be a low contrast situation so you do not have that extra boost that enhances apparent sharpness.

I will have a net search for some reviews and then come back with possible test suggestions unless someone beats me to it.

Don
Old 28-02-07, 22:33

Lello,

Just to keep you going while I rummage, Here is link to a test. Scroll to the bottom to ge to the test http://www.cameralabs.com/features/18200_issue/

This second link ( an exrtact ) will help to gve some idea of the effect on performance of stopping the lens down. Note the softness at f5.6 compared to f16. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...m/page4c.shtml

Don
Old 28-02-07, 22:36

This was taken from same place but at f10, do you think this is sharper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (96.3 KB, 40 views)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 28-02-07, 23:07

Lello,

I have tried a touch of curves ( that gives the increase in contrast as well as lightening to comparable levels ) then realised the image size ( reduced for posting here ) so rather difficult to tell but the suggestion is yes f10 is better.

I will PM a few tests as you have already run up 3 of your 4 daily allowance.

Don
Old 01-03-07, 18:41

I knew there was a thread on the subject of lens testing. Found it.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1174

Don
Old 01-03-07, 19:40

Hi Lello,

Looking at your two shots I would hazard a guess that it's a combination of two things.

First is as Don has mentioned DOF - you have your lens wide open at max zoom, if you increase the f value to say f8 and step your ISO up to say 400 you can then maintain your shutter speed at 200+ preferably 1/300

I think the slight fuz is due to shutter speed and focus + the above.

Practice and patience will make perfect.

Lots of Luck

Brian
Old 02-03-07, 15:43

Hi guys I have just realised, I'm sure when I took these shots the Cam was on Auto (green on dial) The manual says that you should use this setting if you are new to digital SLR (the Cam should be setup for optimum shot!) never had a problem with my point and shoot Oly Can you imagine the scenario, Tina and me on a boat in the Seychelles I have just finished putting suntan cream on Tina's back, hands greasy with cream and a Dolphin comes out the water to say hello, I tell Tina to quickly grab the D80 (as she is not into photography she would use the auto setting) and take this once in a life time shot!!! I would obviously blame her for the bad photo, And she would say I told you the Olympus is better. help!!!

Lelsphotos

Last edited by Lello; 02-03-07 at 15:46.
Old 02-03-07, 22:59

I do not have ' Auto ' on a camea to check it out. I suspect it is a fixed program mode. I will do a graphic tomorrow to explain it, but in essence the camera takes a light reading and based on ISO selected determines shutter speed and aperture. The program will determine, some are fixed curves and others are depending on focal length set, a minimum safe shutter speed for that. It will then restrict closing down the aperture until that point is reached. If the light is poor the camera will just select a shutter speed to suit the light even though it falls below the determined safe point for that focal length of lens. It assumes the photographer is in control.

I would not worry about the Seychelles scenario as bucket loads of light there so this would not happen.

Don
Old 02-03-07, 23:06

I have been told by "She who must be obeyed" that I will be taking the FZ30 on holiday and not the D80 (Unless I can prove I can master the D80 in the 3 weeks before we go)

I would not worry about the Seychelles scenario as bucket loads of light there so this would not happen. No because I will not be rubbing suntan cream onto Tina's back

Lelsphotos

Last edited by Lello; 02-03-07 at 23:08.