WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Nikon D3X Announced

Old 01-12-08, 14:23

Default Nikon D3X Announced

Hi folks - for those of us who love yellow/black things the D3X has just been announced -24.5mp!!!

Who's going to be first to jump???

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 01-12-08, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post

You no Doubt!!!
Old 01-12-08, 17:43

Actually Jamie I don't think so - apart from the increase in mp's its a slightly revamped D3 which still does not have inbuilt sensor cleaning, ISO 100-1600 with extensions to 50-6400 same as D3, slower fps than D3, same old flash sync speed. Also I do not need to print on the side of buildings so I think Nikon have rushed this one and will give it a miss.

Old 01-12-08, 18:09

at £5.5K too rich for my blood

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 01-12-08, 18:17

I am surprised at no sensor cleaning. The Sony with that sensor is not much more detailed than the D3 and then loses detail due to noise reduction at higher ISO so wonder how the Nikon will fair.
Old 01-12-08, 18:24

One has to wonder if Nikon will also go down the track of launching a D3h with a slightly lower mpixel count (e.g 10mp ?) but something like 15 fps, with even better low noise at even higher ISO speeds?....ie following the pattern of D1, D1h and then D2, D2h....
RE the price, big studios and agencies are going to order these regardless, though Andy makes a good point about net gain in spending so much more money when the D3 is a lot less outlay, and which to be honest is an incredible camera and far from lacking.

In a few years time, where will it stop? "Nikon launches the D6 with 128 mpixel and 40 frames per second. The new HD movie camera contender"

lol

P.S...RE sony's line -up. what has to be a bargain at the mo is Sony's entry level A200 for the price of mid level compact camera.

Last edited by Joe; 01-12-08 at 18:50.
Old 01-12-08, 18:57

Truth is that this camera was never meant to compete with the D3, it's a different beast entirely. My guess is the landscape peeps will love it, along with the studio types. I also think it is Nikon's idea to close the gap between the DSLR and medium format cameras and I think many will be trying this.

If I had 5.5K burning a hole maybe, but in 6 months if things don't change my existing gear may have to go...

My New Website
Old 01-12-08, 21:19

The £5,000+ price tag means only serious studio photographers would consider one. It is however a snip compared with the medium format systems on the market with similar pixel counts.

A 10Mpx DX high speed version would be perfect for me with the advances in dynamic range and active d-light may improve my images - would that be worth £xxxx's, not sure. If my present D2x were to fail it would be a toss-up between another or a D3h, if available. I cannot see very high frame rates due to the SLR system moving the shutter, there will be a mechanical limit.
Old 03-12-08, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Hi folks - for those of us who love yellow/black things the D3X has just been announced -24.5mp!!!

Lucky me! I've got Don's Christmas list and its not on it and he did know about this before he gave me his list.
Old 03-12-08, 18:43

I'm going to be unloading 2 or 3 bodies in the near future - D200, D2h with less then 500 actuations, my indecision is whether to get rid of D300 or D2x as well - Like Steve, I love the D2x and find myself reaching for it more than the D300. But D3X? they can keep it!