WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Disk Negatives Please Help

Old 31-01-07, 19:47

Default Disk Negatives Please Help

Hi
My father has found some old disk negatives and he cannot remember how you are supposed to view them and has anyone any idea as to how I can get the picks on the computer?
Thanks Chris
Old 31-01-07, 21:00

Hi

Are these negs on a Kodak disc that they used to give out when you had film processed years ago?
Old 31-01-07, 21:54

Hi

I think they may well be but they do not have Kodak on them. There are 15 negs per disk with a numbered spindle in the middle.
Chris
Old 01-02-07, 04:28

If your are talking of any version of routine negative, using your best available macro set up (Look at good suggestions by Alex on the forum for macro) you can picture the negatives one at a time, rest is simple post processing. Some scanners have special attachment (Physical) for negative that you can easily scan and then rest is how you want to pp them.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 01-02-07, 13:17

Sassan,

We appear to be talking about disk film format here. These had tiny, tiny negs. I doubt if you'd be able to make anything usable from a macro lens pic or scanning for that matter.

I suggest you find a dedicated (professional) photo processing lab and talk to them about getting some prints done.

Duncan
Old 01-02-07, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Sassan,

We appear to be talking about disk film format here. These had tiny, tiny negs.

Duncan
1:1 creates a working field of 36x24mm I assume these negatives on disk are each at 1/4 or 1/8 of that. With Alex's reverse male to male ring adapter that can temporarily be mimicked by duck tap or folded magazine in tubular fashion and duck tap securing (If you are handy enough and know how to take care of lenses) with a 35mm, 28mm lens in reverse you can create a 2-3:1 ratio easily (The lower the focal length, the higher the magnification factor). Well if this is still not enough or you don't want the hassle of going through it but yet like to do it yourself, I would take it to local library and use their microfilm archive machine that can handle the level of needed magnification for sure, then take picture of the projected monitor. I have one of those working microscopes at home that make x2 and x4 life size magnification, good to see diamond, bug etc. If one has a T connector, that is another option. Not the best but still I have the feeling of "Did it myself". Of course the other suggestion by Duncan is the easiest one at a tiny price tag.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 01-02-07, 19:19

Chris,
Any main lab worth it's salt should still be able take a disc negative, get a set of prints and burn a CD for your computer viewing pleasure.
Central lab Jessops in Leicester (despatched via any branch), or Calumet are two labs I know who can do this for you. prices vary according to exactly what you want. budget for around £10 per disc for a complete retro set of prints and a CD
Old 02-02-07, 12:55

Hi all

Many thanks for the tips and suggestions, I have tried a couple of local processors without luck. I have also found one on the net who claim they can do, but when talking to them its a different story. I must admit I did not think of Jessops, I'll give it a go.
Chris
Old 02-02-07, 21:33

Chris,
Jessops definately can do this for you. Unfortunately it'l have to be sent to our main central lab tho.

good luck

Last edited by Joe; 02-02-07 at 22:10.
Old 03-05-07, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Chris,
Jessops definately can do this for you. Unfortunately it'l have to be sent to our main central lab tho.

good luck
Its been a while since I posted this and I have only just gone into both Jessops shops in Cheltenham, both said that they were unable to process even when I said head office had said they could do the job. Any idea as to who to talk to in Leicester?

Thanks

Chris