WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Photographic retailer called in receivers?

Old 09-12-08, 13:50

Unhappy Photographic retailer called in receivers?

I've heard (online) that A J Purdy's have officially now ceased trading

Apparently, all back orders have been cancelled, customer returns not refunded, and orders stopped?
Their website pretty much confirms they have ceased trading.
http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk

A real shame for the high street, but with different struggling retailers seemingly shutting the doors for the final time each week,
one has to question how bad it really must have been for AJ Purdy to close before the christmas trading period is over?

Last edited by Joe; 09-12-08 at 13:52.
Old 09-12-08, 15:10

Apart from Job centers and Receivers does anybody know what sectors are in growth in the UK ? Many companies have been living from hand to mouth for a long time before the credit crunch happened. I sure we will see many well known names go to the wall in the coming months. Everybody is pulling in their belts and cutting back to ride out the storm. This negative feedback in the system will cause even more companies to go under.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 09-12-08, 17:06

While sales of PC's are falling dramatically, support is booming as it seems people are more inclined to have existing ones fixed or upgraded.

My New Website
Old 10-12-08, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
.......one has to question how bad it really must have been for AJ Purdy to close before the christmas trading period is over?
A bit more on that story here Joe,
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=830558

Towards the bottom of the page ... Max Spielmann .... now theres a name from my past. I used them in the early 60's before setting up my first darkroom. I did not realise they were still in business. All very sad.

Don
Old 10-12-08, 18:40

All very sad indeed, a horrible combination of bad timing for the move then rumour mongering precipitating things seems very unfair. They will not be the last I fear.
Old 10-12-08, 22:47

Thanks for the link Don.
I think there's a big point made in the article regarding credibilty to the suppliers. Without wanting to resurent any Jessops bashing, but when I worked for them apart from bank issues, I believe similar was happening regarding those limits granted by key suppliers like Canon and Sony. Much critisism of CEO at the time of Chris Langley. But I think he did much to restore that confidence on his visits to Japan. Though to be honest, I am suprised Jessops hasn't gone the way of Woolworths yet. It is very sad that I could walk into my local branch, and absolutely no one I worked with, or had contact with, is working for them anymore.....all new faces?!

Unfortunately, I think we shall see many more familiar names dissapear from the high street. The majority of which will probably happen after the Christmas and new year 'sales' period is over.

Incidentally, christmas shopping today, we walked into our local Woolworths today. 50% sales it said on the door. The words 'up to' was in small print.
We did try looking for something to buy,Sad, as I remember as a kid, most of the stuff bought at our local woolies simply wasn't available elsewhere. We left empty handed
Old 12-12-08, 18:43

Well I sure hope our local dealer survives. A plug if I am permitted for - Norfolk Camera of Dereham.
They have a wide range of kit in stock - Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Manfrotto, Lowepro and at good prices. They give a brilliant service to boot. I am not an internet shopper, preferring to deal face to face, so I have a vested interest in the survival of good high street shops.
Stevie spent her 'Saturday money' there on the latest purchase, which she has wrapped up so I cannot play with it until Christmas Day.

Joe,
I just noticed from your kit list (for those that need an opinion/review), .... a ... D1X. Never could afford it when it came out hence going the D100 route. Well you asked, so what do you think of it.

Don
Old 13-12-08, 12:24

Well spotted Don!!
Yeah, it is fabulous in terms of image quality. Pictures have a real 'smoothness' to them, nad it's amazing at rendering texture without turning everything to 'shiny plastic'. v happy with these images. which I've not seen in many 10mp images. I got it for a real bargain. It's an ex' agency camera, picking it up from leeds a while back and was pleasantly suprised it has all service history documents! It's seen a lot of use, but it's obviuosly been looked after (don't blame them when I see the horrific new price!!!!). It has been ideal for my portrait/ studio based stuff, but it has to be said that it's rather slow in NEF format! (or have I grown too accustomed to high speed bodies?!)
Dare I say it...the D1x images feel like film but without even touching the processor!

Last edited by Joe; 13-12-08 at 12:26.
Old 13-12-08, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Incidentally, christmas shopping today, we walked into our local Woolworths today. 50% sales it said on the door. The words 'up to' was in small print.
We did try looking for something to buy,Sad, as I remember as a kid, most of the stuff bought at our local woolies simply wasn't available elsewhere. We left empty handed
If you went into Woollies on Wednesday then it was upto 50% off - they have now moved from "in Administration" to "in Liquidation" in other words "EVERYTHING MUST GO!". Worth keeping an eye out to see if there are bargains to be had, but I must admit when we went into Woollies last weekend, it did look like a jumble sale. Duncan & I also walked out empty handed.

Debbi