WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Broke sigma 28-300

Old 17-03-07, 16:14

Default Broke sigma 28-300

Well I was out today, taking photos. when all of the sudden when I tried zooming and something clicked, and suddenly, the zoom would not work

So now, I'll have to send it to be fixed. I assume I'll need the recipt, which I cannot find.
Old 17-03-07, 17:24

First you want to make sure you have run the CPR code on the lens befor you conclude it is dead.

If it is still under warranty, (Usually younger than one year) you need the recipt. Otherwise you can get it fixed but at your cost. There are good repair people out there, but I will contact the dealer first.

How did you pay for it, a lot of time a credit card statement can serve as a recipt.

Many lenses have date code on them such as Canon L series that you can at least find out the manufacturer's date so you have a base for negotiation.
I get a written estimate before work is to perform on it, in case you chose to go for out of pocket payment, that way if it is very high, you may find yourself in a better situation to buy another one and dispose this on at what ever it brings as "Part / Repair only" on ebay with a bit of inflated Shipping and Handling....

Best of luck.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 17-03-07, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
First you want to make sure you have run the CPR code on the lens befor you conclude it is dead.

If it is still under warranty, (Usually younger than one year) you need the recipt. Otherwise you can get it fixed but at your cost. There are good repair people out there, but I will contact the dealer first.

How did you pay for it, a lot of time a credit card statement can serve as a recipt.

Many lenses have date code on them such as Canon L series that you can at least find out the manufacturer's date so you have a base for negotiation.
I get a written estimate before work is to perform on it, in case you chose to go for out of pocket payment, that way if it is very high, you may find yourself in a better situation to buy another one and dispose this on at what ever it brings as "Part / Repair only" on ebay with a bit of inflated Shipping and Handling....

Best of luck.
I'll believe I did pay by card, so will take a look through my bank statements. Focus still works fine.
Old 17-03-07, 23:44

Ant, you omitted to say when you bought it and where you bought it?
Needing the original receipt depends on where you you bought it.
Needing additional cover beyond the manufacturers warranty is neccessary should it be deemed not to be a manufacturing fault?! (which is a shocker to many!)
produce proof of the exact date you bought it, in the very same shop you bought it in, and you never know, they might be helpful!

good luck
Old 18-03-07, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Ant, you omitted to say when you bought it and where you bought it?
Needing the original receipt depends on where you you bought it.
Needing additional cover beyond the manufacturers warranty is neccessary should it be deemed not to be a manufacturing fault?! (which is a shocker to many!)
produce proof of the exact date you bought it, in the very same shop you bought it in, and you never know, they might be helpful!

good luck
I bought it from jessops (i know, I shouldn't of) I can't remember the date I bought it though. sometime in may i think it was.
Old 18-03-07, 19:47
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Well I was out today, taking photos. when all of the sudden when I tried zooming and something clicked, and suddenly, the zoom would not work

So now, I'll have to send it to be fixed. I assume I'll need the recipt, which I cannot find.
Do you mean you are trying to get it done under guarantee? I would just phone up Sigma UK, they are a small and helpful crew and may not need all the paperwork and don't appear to mind dealing direct with customer. Tell them your age in a weepy voice if necessary.
Old 24-03-07, 16:19

I had exactly the same thing happen to mine before Christmas. Worked one day, took it out the bag another to test before a shoot an the zoom was gone.

Sent to Sigma - around £65 to fix, turned out the ring that activates the zoom function had sheered and needed replacing.

I was obviously dissappointed because the lens wasn't that old. I can't say if this happened by a fault or whether a certain teenager in the family who can't leave anything alone twisted the zoom whilst on lock?

Anyway the fix from Sigma was very promptly handled and apart from the expense was relatively painless.
Old 07-04-07, 13:42

Took it into Jessops to be sent for repair today. looks like it won't cost anything but I wont spend any money just in case.
Old 08-04-07, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Took it into Jessops to be sent for repair today. looks like it won't cost anything but I wont spend any money just in case.
It always pays back to make that communication, even when fully disappointed.
Hope things are in fully in your favor and Sigma will server you what it has done for others, at its best.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 20-04-07, 22:28

Got it back today, that was quicker than I expected.

It's working fine and the best part is that it never cost me a penny.