WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Zuiko 200mm f4 OM fit

Old 24-04-10, 17:42

Default Zuiko 200mm f4 OM fit

Hello

Has anyone used this lens? I am looking to buy one but I don't know if it's worth it.

What sort of photography are lenses in this focal length suited to?

Any advice appreciated

Alex
Old 25-04-10, 13:43

A bit puzzled by this one Alex. Is the focal length just a fancy, or are you thinking of particular applications.

Don
Old 25-04-10, 14:20

Alex,

Ha.ha. Googling for info and I saw your post on APUG.
This may help. The lens has a minimum focus of 2.5mtrs. I have just tried my Nikon 200 on a full frame camera and at that minimum distance against a tape measure you will get 46 inches wide in frame.

I have no idea how that lens performs at minimum distance. May be good, maybe not. I'll example that with my Nikkor 105mm f2.5. Stunning beyond 18ft but not so closer, and that has a minimum focussing distance of 1mtr.

In your position I would be looking at the 85mm f2. I would expect that to be well corrected for near use and useable at f2 for nicely blown background.

Of course there is also the 135mm f2.8 or f3.5 that may be worth checking out as they have closer focussing distance than the 200mm.
135mm at min distance against a tape measure will get 38 inches wide in frame.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 25-04-10 at 14:30.
Old 25-04-10, 14:36

Worth looking at on the 135mm f3.5.
Quote the interesting bit .... " This highly portable Zuiko tele-lense has built among the users with a fine reputation in able to deliver uniform image quality throughput the entire focusing range with high resolution and contrast for maximum edge-to-edge sharpness across all aperture range from f/3.5 to f/22. As one of the smallest lenses capable of producing true telephoto effects, with additional features in a practical design, excellent lense handling, a moderately fast maximum lense speed and a highly affordable price, it is an ideal addition to any photographer's equipment as well as a perfect lense to start off as a second lense for beginners. "

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...mls/135mm1.htm

Don
Old 25-04-10, 14:41

Hi, yes I did also post on APUG, they are a large and knowledgeable community when it comes to old rubbish like this.

The 135mm f3.5 is an impressive lens, however I already own the equally impressive 100mm f2.8, which is why I was looking at the 200mm.

The 200mm has a 1:3 macro ratio as well so it does focus pretty close.
Old 25-04-10, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
............ however I already own the equally impressive 100mm f2.8, which is why I was looking at the 200mm.

Well probably only you can answer that one now. In what way is the 100mm not meeting your needs ?

Don
Old 25-04-10, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Well probably only you can answer that one now. In what way is the 100mm not meeting your needs ?

Don
Good question. I guess I need to get closer to stuff...The main reason I'm considering it is because it's being offered to me at the bargain-bucket price of £15, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it.
Old 25-04-10, 15:30

Well £15 is hardly going to break the bank is it, you might as well go for it as long as it is in full working order I would have thought. Mind you I have an Olympus OM1 and OM10 complete with two 50mm lenses 35mm wide angle and 135 f3.5 in perfect working order bar needing new light traps on the OM1 that I do not know what to do with so you could always tempt me instead! The OM1 had an update done to it so it takes a modern battery and the OM10 has a manual adapter fitted.
Old 25-04-10, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Well as Mike has said for £15 you cannot go far wrong.
As for the 1:3 macro ratio then there is no reference to that in either of these links. Both quote minimum focus distance of 2.5 mtrs.
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/200mm.htm

Don
Old 25-04-10, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Well £15 is hardly going to break the bank is it, you might as well go for it as long as it is in full working order I would have thought. Mind you I have an Olympus OM1 and OM10 complete with two 50mm lenses 35mm wide angle and 135 f3.5 in perfect working order bar needing new light traps on the OM1 that I do not know what to do with so you could always tempt me instead! The OM1 had an update done to it so it takes a modern battery and the OM10 has a manual adapter fitted.
Which 2 50mm lenses are they

Seller says the 200mm is fairly well used but optical quality is still good, and for £15 you're right, can't go far wrong.

...Always an excuse for buying more camera stuff!