WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Zuiko 200mm f4 OM fit

Old 25-04-10, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Hello

Has anyone used this lens? I am looking to buy one but I don't know if it's worth it.

What sort of photography are lenses in this focal length suited to?

Any advice appreciated

Alex
Hi Alex

I had one of these lenses for years, it's a top performer, unfortunately it's minimum focussing distance was a bit of a let down and it's short focal length was just too short for general wildlife photography. I traded it in for a Tamron 60-300 SP Zoom, now that was a cracking lens. Incidentally, the Zuico 200 I had didn't have macro focussing, it's closest focus was about 8 feet from the film plane.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 26-04-10 at 16:00.
Old 25-04-10, 20:06

Both are 50mm f1.8. Also have a 28mm f2.8. All like new as far as I can tell without checking the apertures don' stick.
Old 25-04-10, 21:46

All great lenses, especially the tiny sharp 28mm - one of my favourites. Incidentally do you use your OM setup often?
Old 26-04-10, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Incidentally do you use your OM setup often?
No, I have never even used the cameras. The OM1 was a silver wedding anniversary present from my dad to my mum and the OM 10 was a present from my mum to my dad because he kept nicking her OM1. When mum died dad kept the cameras and lenses although never used them again and now dad has recently died I have got them. Like I say I do not really know what to do with them as they have sentimental value as the only personal keep sake I have got but I have my digital cameras which I use all the time plus a goodly collection of my own Canon film cameras and lenses, both FD mount and EOS. I must say the Olympus cameras, especially the OM1, and lenses are absolutely beautiful and a joy to handle - they don't make them like that any more.
Old 26-04-10, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
No, I have never even used the cameras. The OM1 was a silver wedding anniversary present from my dad to my mum and the OM 10 was a present from my mum to my dad because he kept nicking her OM1. When mum died dad kept the cameras and lenses although never used them again and now dad has recently died I have got them. Like I say I do not really know what to do with them as they have sentimental value as the only personal keep sake I have got but I have my digital cameras which I use all the time plus a goodly collection of my own Canon film cameras and lenses, both FD mount and EOS. I must say the Olympus cameras, especially the OM1, and lenses are absolutely beautiful and a joy to handle - they don't make them like that any more.
If they're in good condition the full setup would fetch 200-300 pounds on Ffordes, but if you're not willing to sell that's fine.

I used to use a Leica R3 (which shares a body with some Minolta) and after using the OM-1 it just looks and handles like an ugly brick in comparison - far larger, heavier and less ergonomic. Olympus actually did ergonomic studies when designing the OM-1 to find out the perfect dimensions for something that's pretty much square (no chunky rubberised handgrips). It's a shame for such a beautifully made camera to sit unused. Perhaps you should grab some Ektar or HP125 and chuck it in - who knows, you might get a nice surprise.

Anyway, I think I will buy the 200mm, for £15 it's cheaper than a 3rd-party lens, feels like stealing really.
Old 27-04-10, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
I do not really know what to do with them as they have sentimental value as the only personal keep sake I have got
Give them a space on a bookshelf or some other nook in your house, keep them out on display, but in a less prominent location. They are aesthetic objects in many ways, take them out and love them as the pieces of enigineering that they are.
Old 27-04-10, 19:10

If the camera had feelings (I like to think mine do, sentimental fool that I am) it would be very offended at being reduced to an ornament. It's like buying a wonderful work of art and locking it up in a bank vault for no-one to see.