WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

OK... my usual question!... Pentacon Six?!

Old 23-07-10, 12:59

Smile OK... my usual question!... Pentacon Six?!

Just discovered this camera online... and I am really impressed with it's ability for portraiture... anyone have any views? Good?/Bad?...

Many thanks all you knowledgeable folks! : )

Jim
Old 24-07-10, 17:25

Well you need to decide if you want a 120 system or a 35mm system. A 120 system obviously provides superior resolution and versatility (if you have interchangeable backs) which the Pentacon Six doesn't. The various Bronicas and Mamiyas do. The price is huge weight and and slightly higher cost per frame.

35mm is faster, more spontaneous, and easier and cheaper to purchase and process as you travel across the globe.

Going cheap at the moment are Bronica SQA and ETRS systems, which are like poor man's Hasselblads to some extent. Ffordes has a great selection.
Old 24-07-10, 17:28

Smile

Thanks Alex. I'm thinking Medium format for only portrait work... 35mm I see as a whole different discipline to Medium format and the look/feel of the results for me is incomparable... so I'll still be looking for a 35mm to suit my needs too!

I've been looking at this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1129
Old 24-07-10, 17:33

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaikilo...-90622540@N00/

An example of the Pentacon Six portrait style..
Old 24-07-10, 20:32

Grrr... been outbid... again!. ; )
Old 25-07-10, 09:27

How old are these East German cameras likely to be and what's their long-term reliability like?

My favourite cameras ever have been my Olympus OM1s (I still have both of them) - but...Olympus stopped making them in the late 1980s so they'll all be over 20 years old now, no matter how well they've been looked after. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody for serious work without knowing precisely how well they've been maintained.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 27-07-10, 11:22

There's also the Kiev 66 which is a Soviet copy of the Pentacon. Works very well and some of the soviet lenses are pretty damn good. It's a chunky tank of a camera though, best start working on those biceps :P

I have an OM-1 and it is indeed the most pleasant SLR to use, however seeing as you've been looking at F5s and the like I guess you want AF so the OM-1 is out. I like it for the good construction, large viewfinder, shutter speed ring by the focus ring on the body and the compactness.

I'd think the Bronica systems are a more practical and just as affordable way into medium format...how much money do you want to spend on a medium format system?
Old 27-07-10, 15:49

Ahhh yes. I've seen the Kiev 66... but the images, on the whole did not have the punch of the Pentacons (From images I found on Flickr).

OM -1's are lovely... as was and AE - 1 I tried... really big and bright viewfinder... I also just borrowed a Rolleiflex 35mm and that was pretty great too!... F5's out of my immediate price range for now!... but a boy can dream hehe!

Oh... I'd like to spend around... £120... that's why I was looking at Pentacon's and maybe and old but working Mamiya press cameras (If they are good enough for William Egglestone... they're good enough for me hehe) I had a Polaroid 600 SE Press and it was great... but I just had the Polaroid back for it so we parted ways!
Old 27-07-10, 16:21

Medium format for £120 is a very tough call. Maybe a Yashica Mat or a Minolta Autocord?

Last edited by Alex1994; 27-07-10 at 16:28.
Old 27-07-10, 16:27

Yeah!... I know... a long shot... but I'm bidding for a Pentacon... 60 quid at the mo.. with 2 Jena lenses... if it stays under 100 I may get it! : )

Reason being... I'm starting a book of portraits and I want them all on film... plus, later in the year I am thinking of self funding a submission magazine and I want people that shoot film and digital to submit so I need/want to do a good lot of medium format portraits for the flickr group and my own book project : )