WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Best lense to use for live music events

Old 24-11-10, 16:22

Default Best lense to use for live music events

I have a canon 500d.
Does anyone know the best lense to get for live music events?!?!!!
and the best setting to have it on.
As the default lense i got with the camera just doesnt work out for me.
Old 24-11-10, 21:01

Well speaking from happy ignorance I would suggest a fast a lens as possible. Also a zoom would be good as it gives you more composition options. As for settings I would try RAW to give you maximum quality as the dynamic range will be very high and it also gives you much more control of white balance. Meter off the main subject so probably need spot metering. No doubt somebody will add to what I have said or correct me.
Old 25-11-10, 08:45

Hello there and welcome to the forum. As Mike says, a fast lens - that's a big aperture with a small f number - will probably be essential. Also you'll probably want to push the ISO setting up on your camera to 800 or maybe even more, it depends on how much light there is in the venue. As for other settings or lens parameters, it all depends on what kind of style/pictures/effect your trying to achieve and where you are going to be located relative to your subject. You haven't given this information so it's difficult to advise.

Oh, and lens, singular, doesn't have an "e" on the end. Sorry, but it's a pet hate.

Duncan
Old 25-11-10, 10:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Oh, and lens, singular, doesn't have an "e" on the end. Sorry, but it's a pet hate.
Why did I know I was going to find this quote in this thread rofl.gif
Old 26-11-10, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Well speaking from happy ignorance I would suggest a fast a lens as possible. Also a zoom would be good as it gives you more composition options. As for settings I would try RAW to give you maximum quality as the dynamic range will be very high and it also gives you much more control of white balance. Meter off the main subject so probably need spot metering. No doubt somebody will add to what I have said or correct me.
Suggesting he get the fastest possible lens and then suggesting that he should get a zoom is surely an Oxymoron if ever there was one because zooms are never going to be the fastest possible lenses are they.
I know it may seem a lot more inconvenient but carrying a couple of fast primes will give far better quality images than using any zoom as with fast primes he wont have to ramp up the ISO too much to attain high enough shutter speeds to freeze the action or prevent motion blur. Primes are generally lighter than zooms too so a couple of fast primes does'nt necessarily have to weigh a lot more than a single zoom.
If he plans ahead and knows exactly where he will be shooting from in respect to the artists he can choose the best focal length prime/s for the job.
For instance, if he's close to the artists, a 35/1.4 for the wider shots and an 85mm f1.2 or perhaps an 135mm f1.8 for the close ups, should deliver the goods...But if he is seated at the back of the auditorium he may have to lug a big 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8 with him...

Last edited by sigmasd14; 26-11-10 at 21:09.
Old 26-11-10, 22:34

Oxymoron? No, not really. 35 L f1.4 plus 85 L f1.2 just over £2,600 against a 70-200 L f2.8 at £896. Add a 28 f1.8 for £359 and there is no contest. And/or even the lowly 50 f1.8 for £82. That is unless he is a Pro with his livelihood depending on it or has far more spare cash than me and many others. How many venues let you wander in with a 400 f2.8 unless again you are a pro with a pass? Perhaps I should have said as fast as possible within whatever his budget is.
Old 27-11-10, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Oxymoron? No, not really. 35 L f1.4 plus 85 L f1.2 just over £2,600 against a 70-200 L f2.8 at £896. Add a 28 f1.8 for £359 and there is no contest. And/or even the lowly 50 f1.8 for £82. That is unless he is a Pro with his livelihood depending on it or has far more spare cash than me and many others. How many venues let you wander in with a 400 f2.8 unless again you are a pro with a pass? Perhaps I should have said as fast as possible within whatever his budget is.
He does'nt have to use expensive Canon AF lenses though, does he
I was referring to using manual focus primes like the The Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S or Carl Zeiss 35mm f1.4, FD 85mm f1.2 L and Sigmatel Multi Scalmatic 135mm f1.8...this lot can be bought together for a darn sight less than the £896 cost of the 70-200 f2.8 L, even indluding the cost of any necessary mount adapters.
Old 27-11-10, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasd14 View Post
He does'nt have to use expensive Canon AF lenses though, does he
I was referring to using manual focus primes like the The Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S or Carl Zeiss 35mm f1.4, FD 85mm f1.2 L and Sigmatel Multi Scalmatic 135mm f1.8...this lot can be bought together for a darn sight less than the £896 cost of the 70-200 f2.8 L, even indluding the cost of any necessary mount adapters.
Nothing like making life awkward. FD to Ef mount adaptor has to have a glass element in it to enable correct focussing which loses over a stop of light so bang goes fast lens plus, from what I have read degrades the quality too. Going for a night out with all that little lot of camera and lenses plus making do with manual focus and I think automatic exposure control as well plus losing IS is not my idea of fun. Each to his own.
Old 01-12-10, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareallmadhere View Post
I have a canon 500d.
Does anyone know the best lense to get for live music events?!?!!!
and the best setting to have it on.
As the default lense i got with the camera just doesnt work out for me.
For music events I recommend a wide angle lens to capture everything. Have a look at the Canon EFS 10-22mm lens for more wider angle, as to what setting it depends on the condition. For instance in outdoors 1/125 at f/8.0 or indoors same setting but with flash pointing towards the white ceiling if in low light condition.
Old 01-12-10, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhao1688 View Post
For music events I recommend a wide angle lens to capture everything. Have a look at the Canon EFS 10-22mm lens for more wider angle, as to what setting it depends on the condition. For instance in outdoors 1/125 at f/8.0 or indoors same setting but with flash pointing towards the white ceiling if in low light condition.
Personal taste but I would want to capture closer shots of the artistes as well as wider shots so a tele lens or zoom would be a must for me. I would not use flash either even if allowed in indoor environs as the flash would kill the ambience of the shot, losing most of the carefully set up stage lighting.