WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Quandary!

Old 12-10-07, 23:27

Default Quandary!

I have a Sigma 100-300mm f4 HSM - I actually bought the lens second hand before I got a camera to use it on. It is a very good lens and on the 40D it is a very fast focussing lens - even adding a 1.4x. In the past i've used fairly heavy lenses [for handholding anyway] - spent the winter of 2005/6 using an old Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 plus tcon, before that a Sigma 135-400mm - but I'm wondering whether to admit to the onset of old age and swap it for a Canon 70-300 IS USM. I've seen the suggested monopod setup [thanks!] but my happy snapping tends to be mainly during long dog walks - one eye on the dog and keep moving! For the past year I used various olympus models and a Zuiko 50-200 f2.8 - light and beautifully balanced and smooth - but sloooow to focus and not the best option for flying birds [others with better technique may have fared better] - that setup does make using a Canon 40D plus heavy lens feel like as real millstone round the neck after a 3 hour walk. The best equipment, after all, is the equipment you use - oooh...decisions....what should I do?? No suggestions for expensive lenses please...this would have to be a sell one to buy one as I can't spend any more money on camera gear this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 13-10-07, 10:18

Hi Sue, I was going to suggest the 100-400 f/4.5 which would be ideal for your bird photos. I always considered this to be a lightweight lens, That was until I checked out the specs, Twice the weight of the 70-300mm at 1380 grams.

So how about approaching your problem from another angle and look at the Op-tec Pro camera straps. http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst67.htm The blurb says "Equipment instantly feels 50% lighter and 100% more comfortable when using a PRO STRAP™" .

I use these straps on all my cameras and agree with the above statement.
Old 13-10-07, 15:05

What do you call expensive? Can you borrow the Canon 70-300 IS off anybody or even hire one to make sure you do not make an expensive mistake? The Canon is reputedly a sharp lens but you are losing a stop so not sure how well a TC will work although gaining 4 stops with the IS as far as shake goes. I have not seen the Canon in the flesh but it is a so called budget lens and will no doubt be built accordingly.
Old 13-10-07, 15:51

Thanks Harry - I think one of those straps would be a good idea whatever the lens attached - much more comfortable than the Canon one i should imagine.

Photozone review of the 70-300
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56is/index.htm

Build quality is not, I imagine, anywhere near as good as the sigma and certainly at the budget end of the Canon range. I would'nt envisage using it with a tcon - far too slow. It's all a matter of compromise and, after using my 28-135 IS today in grey drizzly weather, the thought of IS does seem appealing.

Old 13-10-07, 16:38

The old budget thing comes into this but I have the Canon 70-300 DO IS which I love but some don't like. It is fairly heavy but I put it in a small Tamrac holster case which I obviously wear on the hip with a second strap going over one shoulder. Being a short (when closed) lens it fits snugly in this with the lens hood, which is essential, fitting in reverse whilst it is in the case. The weight being on the hip makes it easy to carry and I sometimes have other lenses in their cases attached on the other side of the belt. Well made lens which does work with my Kenko 1.4 converter on my 20D in good light at least. Fast focus and 3 stops IS. Had to save for it though, better try the Optech strap first!
Old 13-10-07, 18:48
Chris

Is it worth having a functional (as opposed to fashionable) rucksack? How much of the time are you shooting/on location and how much coming and going? Presume the Sigma as usual has its own case.
Old 13-10-07, 19:33

I've got a Lowepro top loading bag - camera and lens in main part with small front section for battery/cards/tcon and larger pocket for bird food. Always take the minimum! Five-ten minute walk to location then it's camera strap round the neck time.

Old 14-10-07, 14:15
Super Moderator

I have the Canon 70-300 IS and it is one of the canon lens bargains. Light, sharp and with the benefit of IS. Ok so its not built to L series standards, but then its not L series price. Check out this shot
Old 14-10-07, 15:15
Chris

I think you must have a bigger LowePro than mine (TLZ2) as that wouldn't quite fit a 225mm long lens as the 100-300 is; however if you do not already carry as I do, you could try it. Lowepro strap over right shoulder & bag on left hip; camera strap round back of neck and adjusted so that it can go into bag for protection, but weight just on its own strap.

Another route losing a bit of weight and length & where I am heading to is the Sigma 50-150 with matched 2x teleconverter bringing it back to 100-300 but with about 30mm less length and 400 grs less weight (check exact http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/acce...-converter.htm etc). Sigma UK are very obliging types and could well do you a very good px deal (quietly).

If you don't really need 300mm the 1.4x converter is lighter and shorter. Virtually all my stuff is taken with the 50-150 on a 350D. I dare say you are as hooked as I am on a lens where all the working bits are within the barrel and flapping in and out at the front.
Old 14-10-07, 17:46
Super Moderator

I used to own the 100-300 f4 and think it is a very good lens, personally I'd think long and hard before getting rid of it. Fast focus, great image quality and takes the 1.4x tc really well, not many in the same price bracket can claim the same. I only parted with mine as I had the chance to swicth it and another lens that I never used for a 100-400 IS and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. If anything I think the 70-200 f2.8 is lightly better (though less reach), if the 50-150 f2.8 is anywhere near the same quality (in such a light package) then it could be a very good option (though that is a lot less reach)...