WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

And you thought that 8 or 12 megapixel is too hot to handle?

Old 22-06-06, 05:02

Default And you thought that 8 or 12 megapixel is too hot to handle?

And you thought that 8 or 12 mega pixel are too hot to handle?

Guys and gales, hold your breath checkHERE for the new sensor that has 111 mega pixel, yes you heard it right 111 million pixel...

Dalsa Corp. of Ontario is behind the chip and Semiconductor Technology Associates (STA) of San Juan Capistrano, California will develop the chip for the Astrometry Department of the U.S. Naval Observatory with funding from the Navy's Small Business Innovation Research program.

You may want to consider this as large format equivalent of Digital sensors. Wonder now how high is the high resolution?

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 22-06-06, 10:20

Hi Sassan,

Yes I too read about it here http://www.dpreview.com/news/0606/06...dalsa100mp.asp

No mention of the cooling system to go with it.

These guys will have no problems with file size either.

I think the lenses that will be used could also be well described as ' SUPER EXOTIC '.

Don
Old 22-06-06, 22:14

I wonder if I'll be able to afford it when it becomes available to mortals????

nirofo.
Old 23-06-06, 07:52

Ah yes, but it is 4 inches square, so the actual pixel resolution is about the same as an 8 mega pixel DSLR.
Old 23-06-06, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelblake
Ah yes, but it is 4 inches square, so the actual pixel resolution is about the same as an 8 mega pixel DSLR.
Sorry mate you will have to explain that one
Mind you the whole concept of a camera in the public domain with such a sensor seems totally pointless to me Even if we accept that technology will advance enough to cope with such things in the near future, one must ask the question why
Old 23-06-06, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Sorry mate you will have to explain that one
Mind you the whole concept of a camera in the public domain with such a sensor seems totally pointless to me Even if we accept that technology will advance enough to cope with such things in the near future, one must ask the question why

You are surely right Stephen. We probably won't even have enough storage to keep tract of images this "To be camera" produces with todays hard drives but I remember the days when 40 megabit hard drive looked like enternity to me.
BTW did you notice who is financing the project? May be the big brother likes to take those images in very high resolution from us...
So Cheers to sky, you are on high resolution picture...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 23-06-06, 21:35

Sassan,

I remember refusing to buy into the computer age until they got to 6gig hard drive. In todays money that's 312 NEFs ( Nikon RAW file ). When that finally happened it was for me the bees knees. Two years later I got another at 30gigs. Now I have 300gigs, quite unimaginable a few years ago.

Similarly with digital cameras and the cost of them. I am sure as chip manufacturing technology improves and gets cheaper there will be a market for cameras supporting this level of mp, after all Hassleblad currently has the H2D at 39mp. Phase One also do a 39mp digital back for it, the P45 ( £18k to £20k depending on version and excluding VAT ). So a limited market yes, but a market all the same. Despite those digital backs Sinar still makes and sells the P2 in 10" x 8" for those that regard 39mp as not enough.

I watched a local tv program a few weeks ago, and among various artists it featured a commercial photographer who would not use anything smaller than 10" x 8". If my memory serves correctly he said a single sheet of film and processing was £25 per shot.

Don
Old 23-06-06, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
I watched a local tv program a few weeks ago, and among various artists it featured a commercial photographer who would not use anything smaller than 10" x 8". If my memory serves correctly he said a single sheet of film and processing was £25 per shot.

Don
Perhaps not a beginners camera then?

I suspect that using a large format cameras is a spiritual exercise, akin to Buddhism, and meditation.

The pace of change is astonishing. 20 years ago I was allocated 200 hours of processor time on a Cray XMP 48 super computer at the newly opened San Diego Supercomputer Centre. Today I suspect that I could do the same calculations on a PC.
Old 23-06-06, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Sassan,

Despite those digital backs Sinar still makes and sells the P2 in 10" x 8" for those that regard 39mp as not enough.

Don
Think about the size of image required to enlarge for an advertising hoarding ( Billboard )

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated