WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Is it ethical ? How far can one go?

Old 30-12-06, 00:36

I don't know if there is any logic to this observation. I have found that if you have disturb a settled flying insect, rather chase after it you quietly wait at the same spot it more often than not returns to the same area. Then you can be ready to get the shot.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 30-12-06 at 01:28.
Old 30-12-06, 01:00

There is a large community of Moth enthusiasts on BF,and apparently it seems to be a common practise trapping these creatures in Moth Traps,and then despatching to a fridge overnight,everyone concerned does say that it does no harm to the Moths,but I am not so sure.Removing and insect,creature from it's natural habitat,will surely cause some stress,and as for the habits of so called "rarity" bird photographers,the less said the better,these people are not true bird lovers at all,just want their "tick" at any cost,to some poor bird who has flown thousands of miles to find a safe haven,then these guys "flush" the bird from its place of hiding,just so that they can put a tick in a little black book,not very nice people at all.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 30-12-06, 10:27

I think that for common insects there is no ethical problem. An insect is a primitive creature, and killing one or two is not a problem. Many more will splat on your windscreen, or get eaten by a Hobby and other predators. So one more is neither here nor there.

As to whether or not they are sentient to any degree, I suspect not, but who knows. My own experience is that insects display simple stereotypical behaviour, with no evidence of intelligence.

Personally I don't like the practise of chilling insects. I have seen at least one picture of a chilled dragonfly win a major UK prize, and to me it is cheating. You are photographing an insect in an artificial environment, possibly posing in an artificial manner. And if the practise catches on, then we will have hoards of copy cat amateur photographers catching insects, some of which might be rare.

Surely, as Dean says, the appeal and challenge of nature photography is to work out techniques to photograph wild creatures in their natural habitat.

Nirofo has intrigued me with his comments. I wonder what sort of things the more competitive get up to?
Old 02-01-07, 10:43

Quote:
Personally I don't like the practise of chilling insects. I have seen at least one picture of a chilled dragonfly win a major UK prize, and to me it is cheating.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what's the difference in chilling your insect and finding a 'pre-chilled' one first thing in the morning. Are we just effronted that someone doesnt share our work ethic, and feel they should put some work into getting the image instead of lying in bed for and extra hour or two?
Old 02-01-07, 19:52

Gordon, I appreciate your view re chilled in the morning and chilled in the fridge to an extent.

There is a difference! During the summer, temperatures do not drop so far that the majority of insects cannot fly in some manner to escape predators.

Also bear in mind that when insects retire at night they pick the best site which will offer them the highest protection and camoflage available, (try finding dragonflys first thing in the morning! Very difficult!!)

Moths lay up in the day and releasing them after photographing during the day usually result in predation.

Predators are very savvy as to where and when insects or a viable food source are available.

As a Moth recorder the birds in my garden very soon realised there were rich pickings to be had if any of my captures escaped when emptying the trap. I now have to release in different areas and time to avoid the sparrows, Robins etc from taking advantage.

What is paramount here is our effect on the species. Wildlife, especially insects have declined dramatically in the last 10 years through our interference and impact on their environment. We really need to consider their welfare even if they are only just an insect and appear inconsequential in our scheme of things.

It is up to us as photographers and our responsibility to cause as little impact to the wildlife we nedd for the making of our images.

Nogbad
Old 03-01-07, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what's the difference in chilling your insect and finding a 'pre-chilled' one first thing in the morning. Are we just effronted that someone doesnt share our work ethic, and feel they should put some work into getting the image instead of lying in bed for and extra hour or two?
What Nogbad said. And ...

Insects have strategies for surviving the night. They adopt a resting posture on suitable vegetation, and in the morning the sun warms them so they can become active again. If you release a cold insect at mid day, it is vulnerable to predation from active creatures. If you go to a site before sunrise, and take pictures, as long as you take care, you cause no harm.

But for me it is all about honesty. A chilled insect posed on a twig is not demonstrating authentic behaviour. Who knows if that insect would ever have posed on that vegetation in that manner. The photographer is creating a fake.

But if the insect is photographed against a plain background with no pretence, that's fine by me. (As long as the insect is common of course.)

Similarly a photo of a captive bird, or a zoo animal is less appealing to me. Though I have seen nice pictures, including on WWF, of captive animals. As long as the photographer makes it clear the animal is captive.
Old 03-01-07, 23:57

CAn't help feeling that the Pro & Con arguments here are mostly speculation coloured by personal opinion.
Old 04-01-07, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
CAn't help feeling that the Pro & Con arguments here are mostly speculation coloured by personal opinion.
That the problem with ethics, self interest and on which side of the fence you sit. Personally I have nothing to gain by cooling an insect and it strikes me as being more hassle that snaping the beast on the twig insitu. For me it's just a hobby and I take the view if I miss a shot then it was never meant to be.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 04-01-07, 10:09

Dont misunderstand me, I actually agree with Lief and Nogbad's views on welfare of your subject - both put clearly and succinctly too, thank you!
I was just intrigued by the reference to 'cheating'.
My own view on that is honesty matters - just as with images of captive animals. If this is declared, I view the image differently to a 'wild' shot. ie purely from an aesthetic viewpoint rather than as a 'natural history' image.
Old 04-01-07, 14:13

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I appreciate this thread very much. I have never chilled an insect in order to photograph it but was considering doing so. I am rarely satisfied with my insect shots and read that many of the ones that I'm am envious of, were taken using the chill method. This thread has given me lots of food for thought.