WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Jessops UK. Good or bad?

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 08-01-07, 13:47

Default Jessops UK. Good or bad?

Whats the UK members thoughts on Jessops?
Whats prompted this is experiences of late in that, for example, a lens on their web site is £116, yet in store its £190. No good if you've been given vouchers for Christmas as you cant spend them on the web site!
Also told by one of their staff that Jessops High St stores are a different company to Jessops on the net hence the differences in prices!
Price matching promises have also left a bitter taste of recent; when presenting proof recently that we could buy a camera elsewhere cheaper they got out of it by saying "that ones black & the one we are offering is silver".
Memory card prices I also find expensive.

Al Tee & JamieZ740
Old 08-01-07, 16:14

I think jessops are good at what they do. No high street chain is going to be able to match the small dynamic on-line provider. I notice there is no more television advertising.

With no more price match - is the writing on the wall for Jessops in this very competitive industry?
Old 08-01-07, 20:43

Before Jessops opened shops nationwide I believe they were very good. Customers (including me - (in the 1970's I think!)) would travel many miles to Leicester to what was in effect a trade counter on the end of a warehouse with no goods on display, because their prices were very competitive. The majority of their customers now appear to be what I would call "non-enthusiasts" that also use other high-street big-name shops e.g. Currys and PCworld etc.
I now buy some items from Jessops, usually because of availability or special offers they sometimes have, and a few items are good value, plus they are convenient.

Roger
Old 08-01-07, 21:32

My experience is pretty bad. On the last 2 visits the staff I have spoken to were completely in the dark about what I wnated. They appear to be so young and with no experience of cameras or photography in general.

I go to LCE who are so much more knowledgable and helpful.

Nogbad
Old 08-01-07, 22:52
Chris

living in the sticks they are about all I have for picking up odds and ends and I have had good service from them, eg taking back an epson scanner (bought on tokens) which was meant to be compatible with mac and was about as compatible as me and BG without a murmur and swapping it for a canon, a bank holiday too

Have used LCE Gloucester a lot in the past, but shop is minute and no odds and ends....so its Jessops or PChell
Old 08-01-07, 23:02

Haven't found them very competitive as a said staffed by young and inexperienced assistants. Tend to price match and buy online now. So thumbs down from me, they need to wake up before they go under.

Stewart
Old 08-01-07, 23:22

I used to buy from them on a regular basis,but then they were unable to give a specified delivery date,etc,so now I tend to use Mifsuds,who will change any goods purchased without query,and 9/10 deliver the following day,using Royal mail-no need to hang around for a courier!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 08-01-07, 23:33

This is my usual experience of staff in most of the big stores, they seem trained to sell goods not to offer advice to their customers. Occaisionally though you can get a deal that suits you.

Alan
Old 08-01-07, 23:40

Jessops whole business model has changed over the last few years and I feel that they missed the boat. Jessops don't really do anything well these days and their retail branches are a complete waste of time unless you want to browse compact digicams before buying online elsewhere.
Old 08-01-07, 23:53

I used to use them all the while, and have bought numerous cameras - Nikon F50, F70, F80 - and other items from them. But after a while - about 10 years - I realised that they kept screwing up.

I remember ringing up a branch, asking if they had a camera in stock, asking them to reserve it, and then driving 30 miles to find that they had sold it minutes after I put the phone down. The manager did sort out a replacement after a 30 minute wait while he made phone calls to head office, but that sort of screw up is typical.

And I remember taking in a camera and lens for repair, and getting a quote for £200. So I said yes, and some weeks later they gave me back one unrepaired camera and one cleaned lens. £200 to clean a lens! And that was 10 years ago. Quite why I remained polite I know not.

I went to the same shop to ask for a replacement item for a ball head that I bought in the Oxford Street branch.

Assistant: "We don't sell those."
Me: "I bought it at your London branch".
Assistant: "No you didn't."

On another occasion I ordered a lens described as like new. They couldn't find it. So I argued loudly, and eventually after 10 minutes they found it. And it was not as described. So I complained in writing, and astonishingly they sent me a £20 voucher and a very apologetic letter. (I hope no-one is getting any ideas. ) But I haven't been back.

I am tempted to say that I do not know how they will survive, but I do. They are a high street chain, and they are convenient, and provide a semblance of service, and more importantly, immediate gratification for the acquisitive masses. I bought an Ipod from Currys, because they were convenient. So maybe that is it. They sell lots of modest price items.

For cameras I prefer Warehouse Express and Speed Graphic, or even Grays of Westminster who often have stuff when others don't though they charge an arm and a leg.