WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Jessops doomed

Old 21-06-07, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by john crossley View Post
I totally disagree.
Surely that’s the point of a shop, to give you the opportunity to handle, look at and try the products. It is much better for the customer if they can handle the product before they buy, that way you get the chance to decide if the product is the right one, and you can also compare different models. Buying blind you don’t know what your going to get and if the item is not suitable you’ve got all the hassle of returning it, plus additional postage costs.
With respect to Joe, I have had many bad experiences with Jessops, and I am not surprised they are having trouble.

However ... if you read the Jessops statement I think you will see that they are at base a sound business. I think they simply expanded too fast, taking over shops that might not have been viable due to online competition.
Old 21-06-07, 22:36

John, I agree with you entirely, it was just my warped sense of humour trying to make the point. I think that people do try out in shops and then buy cheaper on line, and then complain how expensive the shop was in comparison.
Old 21-06-07, 22:41

Mike, with respect to all who are fortunate enough to go to a job tommorrow morning, this is not the correct timing for your warped sense of humour?!

There are some good people I have been fortunate enough to meet and work with, and some of who rely on their wage they earn to put food on the table for their families (to put it quite simply).....it's more than just a hobby to them!

In the same way , for example, I would not pass comment of my own experience of a car manufacturer, no matter how bad...if I knew so many people in this country are potentially about to loose their jobs. I would almost certainly consider it more a reflection on myself rather than my comment.
Yes, there will always be the occassional insensitive idiot, but we can all make our own judgements I suppose.

All I was politely asking for was for the good people on here to put a lid on insensitive comments, as we saw in other previuos Jessops related threads .........

Please think about others less fortunate than yourselves.
If we can just manage it just for a while atleast

Last edited by Joe; 21-06-07 at 23:01.
Old 21-06-07, 23:32

Well said Joe. The problem lies with the management and not the lower ranks.

Alan
Old 22-06-07, 00:21

Joe I am sure that fellow members will join me in hoping for the best for you. I have been there and worn the teeshirt

It is a sad day for loyal staff and customers of Jessops. My comment was based on that the writing was on the wall six months ago despite Jessops smoke screen. I feel Leif's comment about over expansion is valid. How many companies have we seen fall into that trap?

I suppose the 64 dollar question asks is there any future for the high street camera shop ? I would like to think there is as I would prefer to get good advice, a fair price and good service from a local trader. But that's another story. The market place is constantly changing and you have to be lean, fit and flexible to keep pace.

At the end of the day it's about keeping the customer happy by providing their requirements, the customer paying for the goods and services plus making sure your covering your overheads. It's amazing how many companies lose sight of these simple things.

Restructuring provides a quick fix but unless the real problems are resolved it surprising how quickly your back to square one.

Coming up with Pipe dreams and throwing money at the problem often just prolongs the agonies.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 22-06-07, 06:14

Joe, and anyone else interested, I was trying (unsuccessfully, it would seem) to use irony to make the point that Jessops supply a service which the cheaper on-line stores do not.
As somebody who has faced redundancy twice in the last ten years, I certainly would not be making light of your situation.
Old 22-06-07, 15:43
Super Moderator

I'm sure that part of the problem stems from having multiple shops in one location, I know of a few towns that have 2 or 3 Jessops stores, there is no way that this can be a viable way of doing business. I assume and hope that the stores that are being closed are in these locations and will allow Jessops to re-build from a better position. (I do feel for all the staff who are laid off, I have been there myself so know how it feels).

I also feel that Jessops have been somewhat arrogant in assuming customers will pay their prices when the same products are available elsewhere a good deal cheaper. I know that Jessops will often price match, but who really wants the hassle of printing off the webpage and then going into the local shop try it. Once you've found the website that is selling it cheaper why not just buy from them? I don't understand the policy of dual pricing (different price in store and on their website), few thinks will annoy a customer more than buying a new camera only to see the same company selling it cheaper online. If they want to trade as 'clicks and mortar' then dual pricing must stop.

I think many customers would rather buy from a shop than the internet but are not willing to pay a high premium to do so. My independent local camera shop sells at competitvie price (sometimes cheaper than WHE), offers great service and a fantastic range of stock (they even hold the big primes in stock). With the buying power that Jessops must have I find it hard to beleive that they cannot be competitive...
Old 22-06-07, 16:48

I should imagine part of the reason for running multiple stores in a town is the fact they are tied into the lease for many years. Depends if it's cheaper to leave it empty or run a shop.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 22-06-07, 18:34

i personally have always found jessops in portsmouth second to none for service and knowledge, its just a shame they are so expensive. they used to price match but the net has kicked the backside out of that, its wicked to say but i hope they do a massive sale.
Serious? Me? Not in this lifetime.......
Old 22-06-07, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
My independent local camera shop sells at competitvie price (sometimes cheaper than WHE), offers great service and a fantastic range of stock (they even hold the big primes in stock).
I am lucky as ' posties ' local dealer is the same as mine. I have bought through Jessops at their Kings Lynn branch with very knowledgeable staff. Probably just as in any really large organisations some stores will be better than others in that respect.

Moving up to Norfolk from the outer London area was a bit of an eye opener for me. Camera stores are thin on the ground and without Jessops and Norfolk Cameras I would be totally reliant on the internet.

If I return to my upgrade from the D100. I visited Norfolk Cameras as it is 10 miles nearer than Jessops and asked to see a D200 which at the time no one had stocks of. When they had a delivery they informed me as I am sure Jessops would have done. I duly viewed it but decided that it was not for me. On this visit I took up about 1/2 an hour of the sales guys time. Having seen Foxy's D2X I asked if they had that for a side by side comparison. They did not have one but ordered one. I duly viewed and yet again at least another 1/2 hour of the sales mans time. In the end I bought the D2X from them.

Here is the rub. I could have despite all their time and effort spent on my enquiry bought through the net and saved possibly £50 - £100 with a bit of research. If enough of their customers did that then they would close down. Now if in the current position Jessops were now to close the Kings Lynn and Norwich branches we would only have one camera shop in Norfolk ( LCE ) that I have also bought from. With no shops I would for all future purchased I would be totally dependant on internet reviews. In the case of the D100 upgrade I would have bought the D200 based solely on those reviews and just put up with the lack of eye relief and full compatability with my SB80-DX flash.

I may sound like the odd one out but with great service I am a supporter of my local camera shops and in this case that includes our nearest Jessops, occasional internet purchases apart.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 22-06-07 at 23:21.