WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

New venture into Macro

Old 18-12-05, 19:00

Just to mix things up a bit, Canon's 500D close up filter (or Nikon's version) is another route. This reduces infinity focus down to 500mm so you can focus very close. The quality is extremely good and shouldn't be confused with the cheaper close up filters available.

If you're on a budget putting one on the front of a standard lens will get very good results and let you dip your toe in the macro water without breaking the bank.
Old 19-12-05, 13:09

I bought a set of cheap closeup filters and they are really horrible. Well, I say "cheap" but they still cost quite a bit. They just seem like cheap ones because I can't get any results worth keeping with them.

Maybe I should try harder, but I spat the dummy the other day and ordered an EF-S 60mm macro lens instead. Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 21-12-05, 11:08

Default Recommended lenses

Thanks for all the helpful replies - I feel I now know what I'm looking for and the features I need.

I am assuming that a lens of about 100mm would be a good "all-rounder". So I am considering the ones suggested:

1. Tamron 90mm DI
2. Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG
3. Canon 100mm f2.8 USM

Does anyone have sample shots from these lenses? I would be grateful for any opinions.

Ken
Old 21-12-05, 11:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
Does anyone have sample shots from these lenses? I would be grateful for any opinions.
I've got the Sigma 105 (not had it for long) and really like it - here are links to three photos taken with it.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=53
Old 22-12-05, 03:12

Kenny,

Thanks for asking this question. This is something I have been curious about. The well informed answers were extremely helpful. I have one more question, another photographer warned me against lenses that have the macro switch that changes the lens to macro. Was there a reason behind this? or just a bad experience? I have a Nikon 24-85mm F 1:2.8-4 D lens that has the macro (1:2) switch but have not played with it much due to questions that I now have the answers to (thanks to this forum) and the fact that I had been told that it wasn't a good thing.

Judy
Old 22-12-05, 08:41

"macro switch that changes the lens to macro"

Well these are not true macro lenses as they normally give a maximum magnification of 2-1, where as true macro is 1-1 or greater.

I use the Canon 100mm f/2.8 and can confirm that it's one super lens (will post an example this evening).

I also use the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 mainly for shooting bugs and butterflies, although the results are very good, they don't come up to the standard of the Canon
Old 22-12-05, 09:36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy M.
I have one more question, another photographer warned me against lenses that have the macro switch that changes the lens to macro. Was there a reason behind this? or just a bad experience? I have a Nikon 24-85mm F 1:2.8-4 D lens that has the macro (1:2) switch but have not played with it much due to questions that I now have the answers to (thanks to this forum) and the fact that I had been told that it wasn't a good thing.
As Wolfie has said, such lenses don't give a 1:1 ratio that a true macro lens will. However, as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with using such lenses for macro work, it just won't deliver quite as good results as a dedicated macro lens. For amny years all I had for macro work was such lenses, I was always pleased with the results, that said I have recently got a dedicated macro lens and have noticed the difference.

I would say that using your existing lens on macro setting will give you a good idea as to whether you'd get much out of a macro lens.
Old 22-12-05, 17:22

Thanks for the replies, now I understand a lot more about macro and my lens. I have been so focused on birds that I have used my long lenses almost exclusively, even though I have several others (buying equipment is a passion when I have extra in the budget). I see I've found to right place to answer my questions.

Judy
Old 22-12-05, 17:44

Tom of the three I would certainly go for the Canon 100mm, this is a fabulous lens. The Tamron 90 and the Sigma 105 are good, but don't really compare with the Canon.

I use both the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 180mm, the Sigma IMO is only suitable for shooting nervous bugs or difficult to get to subjects, due to it's long focal length.

I am about to upload 3 images, all flowers, 2 of them taken with the Canon and 1 with the Sigma. They should be in the gallery in just a few minutes.

Harry
Old 22-12-05, 19:53

Wolfie

Excellent shots!

Ken