WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Black and White processing

Old 22-03-06, 20:29

Default Black and White processing

Surely I can’t be the only one who is interested in processing my own black and white films and then producing my own prints from the negatives. Indeed, according Amateur Photographer I’m not and the response they had to a letter in the last issue of last year asking about this was such that they re-ran the article from 2003 by Chris Gatchum that was mentioned in the letter. Anyway – I have made a start by enrolling with North Warwickshire College for a course in basic photography and things seem to be going well. However, I have a few questions that I could do with being answered and hope that someone on here will oblige me with the answers. So then …

1. I bought a 1 litre box of ID11 developer yesterday and according to the instructions that is enough to develop 10 films. If I develop 2 films each time (there’s room for 2 X 35mm spools in my ‘d’ tank), does this limit on 10 films still stand?

2. Next, the used chemicals … having developed 2 films at once, do I have to keep that portion of solution separate or do I put it back in the with the fresh stuff? If I have to keep it separate, how do I work out timings for future use (if it can be reused that is)?

3. Finally (for now at least ), how can I safely dispose of the used chemicals please? I really don’t fancy flushing it down the toilet – and in any case the instructions say not do that anyway.

Any help on these questions or any other pointers would be very gratefully received as I have 2 films to process right now and would like to get them done ready for printing next Monday night at college.

Ron
Old 22-03-06, 20:44
Super Moderator

Ron I am presuming the developer is powder and not liquid it could be different from what I used in the 80's here is a webpage with a downloadable pdf file instructions. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/chem37.html I will have a read and see if I can help you. Black & white was my business at one time so it shouldn't take me long to refresh my brain. LOL!

Christine
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 22-03-06, 21:20

Co'r Ron, I will also have to engage brain.
I will let this sit in my mind overnight.......... Bit of a cheat answer as the expert is on the case.

Two quick thoughts come to mind re developer.

My rule with mixed developers was to store in glass airtight bottles. I will look tomorrow but there was an inert gas that could be used to expell air before screwing on the cap. In this form it will last well. If air gets to it, it will degrade quite quickly. Same applies to dish deleloper for prints.

2nd rule always use fresh developer. Do not put dev that has been used or exposed to atmosphere for any length of time in with fresh.

You will certainly enjoy Monday.

Will check back tomorrow.

Don
Old 22-03-06, 21:26
Super Moderator

Ron hopefully someone can come back to you with more information.

When I started out doing the odd film I only ever did the one-shot method I remember working out the dilutions and times so I could just use the one small tank, then disposing of the chemical and use fresh for the next set of films, I found I got more consistent results that way.
I am not sure whether I did use the ID11 further diluted or the perceptol, it maybe better if someone else could come in and say whether the ID11 can be further diluted and times altered accordingly. I don't want to give you the wrong advise.
When I did deep tanks to develop 50+ films at a time I had to alter the times after doing so many. To test how much I had to alter the time, I had a roll of film taken of a test card, I kept this roll and just cut off a small piece containing a couple of frames and gave it the adjusted time in the chemical to check it out. The same for the one shot solution it makes sure you don't make a mistake on your important negs.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 22-03-06, 21:29

It's got to be over 20yrs since I processed fp4 b & w film. Temperature and time is important as well. I remember during the winter months keeping the chemicals warm was a problem. For the film I would not re-use the developer but OK for the paper. Today chemical disposal is a problem. I work in the printing industry (press) and the green rules are slowly forcing the use of processless printing plates. The days of silver film, developers and fixers are numbered.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 22-03-06 at 22:26.
Old 22-03-06, 21:39
Super Moderator

Don, thanks for reminding me about taking the air out of the chemicals, very important, it can go off rather quickly, you do have to make sure as much air is expelled as possible. They do make concertina type bottles, or they did, as you use the solution you can slowly collapse the bottle to expel the air. I had different coloured concertina bottles for each solution, so I didn't get them mixed up.

Old 22-03-06, 21:40
Super Moderator

Robski are we old foggies LOL!

Old 22-03-06, 22:44

For the last few years that I did my own processing I also used the one shot method, using the Jobo CPE-2 Plus Processor for Film and Prints, but I did have all the different size print and film tanks.
As these tanks revolved in a thermostatically controlled water bath, maintaining a constant temperature was never a problem.

I also use the concertina type storage bottles. As for disposal, well this always went down the household drains.

Quote from the Ilford site "Amateur and home users in the UK should dispose of small amounts of used photographic processing solutions by dilution with plenty of water and washing them down the drain. Do not mix solutions." but not if you have a septic tank

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=48

Harry
Old 22-03-06, 23:31

So I could not stay away.

The last time I used a darkroom was about 5 years ago so a bit rusty. When we moved to Norfolk I packed it all up and its in the loft.
I've been up there hoping I may have kept some of the product leaflets but afraid not. I did however find a Kodak brochure with temps and times to refresh the grey cells. This could become a collection of reminicences that need tying up. Someone says something and that triggers a thought with some one else.

Rob and Harry both mention temperature control. I used to use a washing up bowl with some water at 20 deg to help maintain solution temps.

One shot liquid developer. As I was doing 120 film or 35mm Tech Pan I was only doing 1 roll at a time.

Harry's Jobo CPE-2 Plus Processor was the bees knees for colour but I never could afford that.

Just dug out a Jessops catalogue and Ilford ID11 is a liquid.

Just checked and I see we are all here but for Ron !!

Don
Old 22-03-06, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
They do make concertina type bottles, or they did, as you use the solution you can slowly collapse the bottle to expel the air. I had different coloured concertina bottles for each solution, so I didn't get them mixed up.
Christine,

Looking at the Jessops catalogue yes they do. Now called Accordion bottle £ 2.49 ea. code JESAB1.

I colour coded my caps with nail varnish. There are some bright colours out there.

Don