WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Choosing a Canon EOS, which gives the best value?

Old 22-02-11, 21:07

Default Choosing a Canon EOS, which gives the best value?

Hello All

I've been looking at purchasing a DSLR camera for about 6 months now, and if its ok, I'd like to pick your brains for a few moments regarding camera choice.

I've done lots of reading about different makes, been to a few stores handled the merchandise, and had the chance to use it, so I know what I'm looking for- a Canon, its the one that is most comfortable in my hand. As I'm totally new to DSLR's I'm going to have to learn a menu system no matter what.

I've decided to use the stock lens and nothing else until I progress and have become more educated about my needs.

Living in Northumberland, I'm looking mainly to photograph Landscapes- albeit doing the usual family shots too. I'd also like to try some HDR and light trails photography, I have photoshop for processing.

Budget wise, my financial advisor is ok with me spending £500 (at some point in the next 6 onths or so she said).

If you have got this far, I admire your patience, now the question.
What canon should I buy- do I go for a 450D=which I know I like, which I can get new on ebay for £420, or a new 1000D, or something older like a 40D.

How do these cameras compare with each other? Also, is there anywhere I can compare these cameras, or find out if I have missed any alternatives.

Once I've decided then it'll be time to start saving, go buy the thing, and then the fun really begins.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Old 22-02-11, 22:01
Super Moderator

Well personally I don't like the handling of the 1000D, it just feels too plasticy and it is relatively slow. The 450D is a very capable camera (head and shoulders above the 1000D), it has a faster frame rate and bigger buffer (more useful for action than landscape). For me though the 40D is better than both, the feel in the hand, and better high ISO performance would make it my choice. I think that the 40D is one of the best DLSRs that Canon have made.

Whichever way you go budget for the other bits you'll need/want. Spare batteries, memory cards, camera bag and a decent tripod (essential for HDR and startrails).
Old 23-02-11, 14:33

Second Peter on his choice and reasoning. The 450 is physically a smaller camera which, depending on the size of your hands, might suit you better otherwise 40D for me.
Old 05-04-11, 12:12

I do feel as compare to 450D you can consider 40D a better option it performs better at low-light ISO and its built is good I personally feel.

I am hobbyist photographer and have played with most of the leading cameras.