WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Lens Distortion ?

Old 20-05-09, 15:58

Default Lens Distortion ?

Hi. I now live a short ride away from Sao Paulo, the fourth largest city in the world. I have started to take cityscape photographs, For me this is an entirely new aspect of photography. On Sunday I spent the day taking photographs in the City. Using Fomapan 100 black and white film, developed in D76 the tones are excellent. The problem I have is distortion. If I rotate the shot so the skyscrapers on one side of the road are parallel to the edge of the shot then then buildings, lamp posts, on the other side of the shot look like they are about to fall over. Has anybody any ideas how to alleviate this problem? Unfortunately the lens correction filter in CS3 is not available for black and white.
Old 20-05-09, 16:42

Not sure what B&W as to do with it.

In Photoshop "Select All" then go to "Edit">>"Transform" And use a suitable tool such as "Skew", "Distort", or "Perspective".

It's better if you do this in "Layers", but not essential. If you edit the distortion in Layers then forget the first part of "Select All"
Old 20-05-09, 17:00

......... or, if the file is reported as greyscale in Photoshop ...... In the 'Image' menu go to 'mode' and change its mode to 'RGB Colour' and you should have the filter available. Don't use this filter myself, but that should work.

Old 20-05-09, 20:01

Wide angle lenses always distort to some degree, and this is more noticeable when there are straight lines near the edges of the scene. One thing that makes this worse is tilting the camera so the sensor/film is not vertical. The expensive kit solution is a tilt and shift lens, which will allow you to move the focal plane to reduce this effect. I'm not well up on PS solutions, but I know there are filters available to correct lens distortion - it would be a lot cheaper that way!
Old 21-05-09, 02:50

Hi. Thanks to all for your ideas.

Regards Phil.

Tags
lens distortion