WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sigma 100-300 f4

Old 11-02-08, 09:18

Default Sigma 100-300 f4

I know there's at least one member out there using this lens, I'd like some feedback on how usable it is and if anyone has used it with a 1.4x teleconvertor. I know this is a physically large lens and am concerned that if it's too big I'd never bother taking it out and about. also, if I'm doing stuff where I need a long lens, I probably want a bit more than 300mm - hence the query on 1.4x t/con. How usable is it with a t/con? I know that my Sigma 135-400 is utterly useless with a convertor and don't want to find myself disappointed with this combo.

Before anyone says "You don't wnat to but one of them, you need lens [insert esoteric long tom lens name here]......", bear in mind that you probably can't get that item in a Pentax fit, and I'm not going to swap systems for the sake of a lens that probably won't get a lot of use. As it is, I'm struggling with even considering buying an £800 lens for the low usage it will get when I already have the 135-400.

Duncan
Old 13-02-08, 19:32

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I know there's at least one member out there using this lens, I'd like some feedback on how usable it is and if anyone has used it with a 1.4x teleconvertor. I know this is a physically large lens and am concerned that if it's too big I'd never bother taking it out and about. also, if I'm doing stuff where I need a long lens, I probably want a bit more than 300mm - hence the query on 1.4x t/con. How usable is it with a t/con? I know that my Sigma 135-400 is utterly useless with a convertor and don't want to find myself disappointed with this combo.

Before anyone says "You don't wnat to but one of them, you need lens [insert esoteric long tom lens name here]......", bear in mind that you probably can't get that item in a Pentax fit, and I'm not going to swap systems for the sake of a lens that probably won't get a lot of use. As it is, I'm struggling with even considering buying an £800 lens for the low usage it will get when I already have the 135-400.

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

I can thoroughly recommend the Sigma 100 - 300 APO EX HSM f4 lens. It is very sharp, in fact as sharp as some of the canon L series lens I have and used. It is very heavy though and is best used on a sturdy mono or tripod, it can be hand held but dependent on your size and strength !!!!! Saying that it is not to heavy to be off putting, this weekend I had a 20D, Sigma 10 - 20, Sigma 24 - 70, Canon 70 - 200 L, Flash, Monopod, TC, various other bits of kit and the 100 - 300 in my bag and hiked 3 -4 miles with it !!!!!

On the TC front, I use the 1.4x APO on mine most of the time, it has no detectable loss in sharpness and the focusing is lightning fast. The only down side is you will lose a stop, so you'll be at f5.6 rather than f4 all the way. The 2x TC doesn't work with the auto focus though.

Have a read here, we can't all be wrong !!!! http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=3

PM if you need any more info...........

Jason
Old 13-02-08, 19:37

Duncan,

Jason just beat me to this one.

Given that this Photozone review shows todays date I thought you may not have seen it.
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nikk...300mm-f4-nikon

Don
Old 13-02-08, 23:23
Super Moderator

I had the 100-300 f4 for a while and liked it as a lens, however I found that there was a noticeble softening when used with a 1.4x tc. I also found that the AF slowed with the 1.4x on, that said it was stil faster than the 135-400 (a friend had one so I have done direct comparisons). My only slight issues with the lens was that it was prone to hunt in low light and the images were sometimes a bit flat (it seemed to lack the contrast that my other lenses had).

In the end I got rid of it and replaced it with the 70-200 f2.8 - this lens handles low light better and the focus is very fast. I found that the 70-200 f2.8 with a 2x tc gave better results than the 100-300 f4 with a 1.4x.
Old 14-02-08, 08:09

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated. I had seen the fredmiranda stuff, but it's always nice to get feedback from people who've lived with things for a while.

I think I'll hold off for a while, I have no urgent need for this lens at the moment and am struggling with the cost/benefit equation right now.

Duncan