WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 18-200mm VR zoom question

Old 28-12-07, 16:07

Default Nikon 18-200mm VR zoom question

I currently have Nikon 28-100mm, Sigma 70-300 and Sigma 170-500mm APO DG lenses that I use on my D80. I am thinking of getting rid of the 28-100 and 70-300mm lenses and buying a Nikon 18-200mm VR instead.
The reason for this is to minimise lens changing and cut down on the amount of stuff I carry around with me.

Has anyone got experience with this Nikon lens? Would it be an improvement in image quality over what I already have? My current lenses are by no means bad but the VR is a selling point for me.

Any input would be welcome.

Cheers
VB

Last edited by Vectis Birder; 28-12-07 at 16:09.
Old 28-12-07, 20:12

Hi there VB - I use the 18-200 VR Nikkor. It is without doubt, my main and most useful lens. I find the only time it comes off is when I'm changing bodies. That is because I feel I need one of the bodies features rather than the lens. I use it mainly on my D2x and D200. I also have overlapping lenses but I usually set myself with a couple of bodies and lens for a particular occasion. I may carry an ultra wide in my pocket if the location promises to be suitable.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 29-12-07, 00:53

I'll second what Andy has said, I too rarely take it off my D200 or D300. It may not be the sharpest overall lens but the ability to go from wide angle to a small telephoto is soooooo convenient.
Old 29-12-07, 09:35

I agree with the above,The only time I take theNikon18-200 off is to use the Sigma 150mm for Macro work

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 29-12-07, 16:16

I was looking at one in Jessops this morning (bit of window shopping), and it looks very nice. I will start saving. The woman in Jessops offered me a buy-now-pay-later deal, but I have enough debt as it is so I'd rather save for it.

I might buy one from Warehouse Express or another mail order firm because in the shops the lens is £550 while on the net it's £450.
Old 30-12-07, 21:46

I have this lens as well and it's rarely off my D200. It's ideal for numerous situations. I'm looking at buying a new lens - A macro lens, for the type of photograpy I do I don't think I'll need to make any more lens purchases (well apart from the enjoyment factor!!)
Old 09-01-08, 12:41
Chris

Can I slide in on this one, although my problem is slightly different
Starting point is D80 with 18-135 kit lens, which I actually find excellent, but presumably worth next to nothing S/H
So do I also go for the 18-200 which no one has a bad word to say about or get a bit more reach and bit less overlap with the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S VR IF (or put in a bid for your Sigma 70-300, VB)?
I don't mind a bit of lens changing and don't want to go to prime price/weight.
Old 09-01-08, 16:56

I have the Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR IF - it is great with the extra reach but depending on circumstances (eg Birding from a Hide) I am carrying it plus a Sigma 50-500 Bigma on another body. It is also a fairly slow lens. The beauty of the 18-200 VR is it really is a leave on and forget standard lens. Its not the fastest lens but it is sharp and for 90% + you don't need another one. In low light yes I'll take a 70-200 VR f2.8 or 80-200 AF-S f2.8 or carry a macro for close-up or an ultra -wide angle for architecture. But for most of my Photographic needs ie: just wandering around with a camera round my neck - the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens covers the lot.

Last edited by andy153; 09-01-08 at 16:59.
Old 10-01-08, 18:27

I did consider the 70-300 VR lens, but am pretty much sold on the 18-200 as it's more versatile. Can it be used with a teleconverter?
Old 10-01-08, 18:54

Hi VB - I sometimes use mine with the Kenko Pro series as these have the necessary contacts built in. But because of all the other clobber I have I tend not to use tele-converters - only extension tubes when required. But the answer is yes - you can - but as far as I know the kenko are the only ones that have contacts. And sometimes you will find your EXIF is out ie the camera does not recognise you have used a tele-converter.