WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 18-200mm VR zoom question

Old 10-01-08, 18:18
Chris

seems odd that the Nikon teleconverters don't work; have Nikon phased them out or likely to be updating them (if you have a crystal ball or direct line ex officio Andy). I was thinking the same, though having just got the first decent pic off with ancient 70-300 AF 1:4-5.6 G my son threw out my way, it gives me more thinking time
Old 10-01-08, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
seems odd that the Nikon teleconverters don't work; have Nikon phased them out or likely to be updating them (if you have a crystal ball or direct line ex officio Andy). I was thinking the same, though having just got the first decent pic off with ancient 70-300 AF 1:4-5.6 G my son threw out my way, it gives me more thinking time
Similar story with the Canon TC - it only works on a few of the Canon lens (will not work with the Canon 75-300 for instance). This is done on purpose as Canon do not allow it to fit lenses that do not do a tc justice. Guess it is probably the same with Nikon.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 10-01-08, 20:58

Quote:
Hi VB - I sometimes use mine with the Kenko Pro series as these have the necessary contacts built in. But because of all the other clobber I have I tend not to use tele-converters - only extension tubes when required. But the answer is yes - you can - but as far as I know the kenko are the only ones that have contacts. And sometimes you will find your EXIF is out ie the camera does not recognise you have used a tele-converter.

Thanks Andy.

Last edited by Vectis Birder; 11-01-08 at 14:20.
Old 11-01-08, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
seems odd that the Nikon teleconverters don't work;
Chris,

Its all down to design. I have neither the 18-200 or the TC-14E II but if you check the lens construction images at the bottom of the page on each of these links, you can see that there would be a clash of elements between the lens and the converter.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...g_if/index.htm
http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...4e_2/index.htm

On the Kenko converter the design is such that the front element of the converter is 8mm inside the mounting flange. Whether that 8mm is sufficient clearence I do not know.

The other factor to be taken into account is aperture. In Thom Hogans review effective aperture falls off quite sharply, f4.8 by 50mm, so adding a tc will have an effect on the ability of the lens to satisfactorily auto focus. Link to Thom Hogans review http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm

Don
Old 14-01-08, 11:53
Chris

any thoughts on Nikkor 80-400? I know it is a bit old, but considering how rude Ken Rockwell and other reviewers sometimes are, they seem to be hunting for faults except slow AF on moving objects, but am quite happy to go only for 'chilling birds'. Also about my limit for price/weight.