WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Flash Fit = connections

Old 28-12-09, 21:33

Default Flash Fit = connections

Does the Nikon D200 have the same fit/connection as my D300? I've seen a good deal on a flash.
Ta Steve
Old 28-12-09, 21:45

Steve, I suggest you ping Don Hoey a PM, he's the expert on the Nikon flash system. He'll probably want to know the make/model of the flash you are thinking about. I know some third party flashguns have to have a firmware update applied to work with cameras that are released after the flash is on the market, which is why Metz have a USB port on their newer dedicated guns.
Old 28-12-09, 21:49

Many thanks, looks like I should do some research before I jump!
Ta
Steve
Old 29-12-09, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cz View Post
Does the Nikon D200 have the same fit/connection as my D300? I've seen a good deal on a flash.
Ta Steve
YES.

nirofo.
Old 30-12-09, 17:15

Steve,

Having seen your message to Don, I suggest you forget the Jessops unit. You can get a Metz with similar spec for the same money. The Metz unit can have its firmware upgraded if needed.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...shgun/p1031112
though it has to be said, this unit does not seem to offer manual power level control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
YES.
Physical fit/connection is one thing, compatibility is another.
Old 30-12-09, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Steve,

Having seen your message to Don, I suggest you forget the Jessops unit. You can get a Metz with similar spec for the same money. The Metz unit can have its firmware upgraded if needed.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...shgun/p1031112
though it has to be said, this unit does not seem to offer manual power level control.

Physical fit/connection is one thing, compatibility is another.
He wasn't asking about compatability he was asking if the Nikon D200 has the same fit/connection as the D300, in which case the answer is yes!

nirofo.
Old 30-12-09, 17:36

surely part of that fit/connection IS compatability?? .....or, am I missing something here?
Old 30-12-09, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
surely part of that fit/connection IS compatability?? .....or, am I missing something here?
Only if you're using independant manufacturers flash units, and even then most of the latest units will have a model that is compatible with the Nikon D300. I agree if you're using older secondhand independant manufacturers units then compatibility may be a problem, however, nowhere in his original post did he mention independant manufacturers units, or did I miss the post somewhere which talked about the Jessops flash unit ?

nirofo.
Old 31-12-09, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Only if you're using independant manufacturers flash units, and even then most of the latest units will have a model that is compatible with the Nikon D300. I agree if you're using older secondhand independant manufacturers units then compatibility may be a problem, however, nowhere in his original post did he mention independant manufacturers units, or did I miss the post somewhere which talked about the Jessops flash unit ?

nirofo.
If you look at Don Hoey's profile, you can see that Steve has asked Don in a visitor message about the units he is considering, one of which is a cheap and cheerful Jessops own brand unit. I certainly wouldn't buy such a unit without making absolutely certain that it works fully with the D300 - which is NOT listed as being compatible with the flash in question. I'm confident that it would physically fit, but I sure wouldn't trust it to work correctly with a non-listed camera.
Old 02-01-10, 00:42

Hi Steve, Having owned both the D200 & D300 I can tell you the flash connections are the same. Both cameras can use the Nikon iTTL system when used with the Nikon SB400, 600 and 800 flash guns. As for other manufacturers, some claim full compatibility, but if it were me I'd look at a Nikon gun before carefully examining other manufacturers. I've used Jessops and Metz guns in the past and would choose a Metz every time over the Jessops. If Metz say they are fully compatible with a D200 & D300 then I think you can trust their claims, but I'd still prefer a Nikon SB400.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!