WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

camera recommendation for wedding photos

Old 14-05-17, 19:39

Default camera recommendation for wedding photos

Hey all,

It's my sister's wedding coming up and I wanted a few nice personal family shots but don’t have a good quality camera. Was looking at renting one off Fat Lama, but I didn't know which one to get. I was settled on the Nikon ones. Theres a few D3200/D3300 and D5100s. What is going to be the best one for a wedding? Photos are going to be medium range, natural lighting (as its outside). Lens aside, what are the main differences - which one would I feel most comfortable with?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers, James.
Old 15-05-17, 10:32

I have a D5100 and know that does a good job but guess so will the others. If you can try out the camera/s before the wedding maybe hire one the week before and practice. You only get one go on the day to get it right. Learning how to use a camera for the first time is adding pressure on yourself. I wish you all the very best of luck. Take your "Not very good camera" as back up.
Old 15-05-17, 14:38
Super Moderator

Are you just taking shots at the wedding because you want to or have you been asked to be the 'official' photographer? If you have been asked to do it officially I would not recommend it, I have shot many weddings over the years and made the mistake of doing my sisters wedding, it was definitely the hardest one that I have shot. If you are doing it for your own enjoyment then that is a different matter.

Either way I would say that whichever camera you choose it will be up to the job and that the lens you use with it will play a much bigger role in the outcome of your photos.
Old 18-05-17, 02:53

Canon Rebel series in my opinion
Old 18-05-17, 02:54

Check these models http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eo...he-difference/
Old 21-05-17, 20:05

James:
You are a very good family person and I wish you all the best. In saying that, I hope you do realize the sensitivity of the issue, specially if your are going to be the official photographer of your sister's wedding. There are too many unknown variables here that I really can not give you any good advise frankly but let me break it down to some few simple lines that hope to get you somewhere.
You have received some good advise here from others but please pay attention to what Arthur53 and Postcardcv said.
In general for a wedding (Assuming it is going to be in low light / indoor / later day or evening time), you need to deal with low exposure, moving subjects and noise. A professional photographer typically uses a sensor that can handle these factors well and gives you the least noisy, sharp, well frozen image for the situation. This is best addressed with one of the newer full frame sensor cameras, whether DSLR or mirroless, but in an expert hand, a faithful camera, with attached right glass, can provide that good result, no matter which or what type. After all, the larger pie of a good picture is not about the camera but the person behind the camera.
None of your proposed options are full frame but then please remember the FF cameras are more difficult to use, specially if you are not familiar with it (Mostly don't have the on camera flash and their dedicated flashes are a totally different story to use properly).
I don't want to disappoint you from getting into photography shoe, specially the well rewarding field of wedding photography but have you heard that No surgeon operates on his own family members, even when she or he are the best in the field!
Please pay attention to historical data and experiences. You simply don't want to be the black sheep of family for the rest of your life, because something didn't work, despite your best wills and heartiest intensions.
If I were you, I would use that money you saved for camera or rental equipment as a down payment to hire a professional photographer for my sister (A very nice gift indeed that will be remembered for a long time, if not for ever. You can look around to find even a good photography school student photographer - comfortable with doing a wedding shooting-, for very cheap, instead of a well established expensive photographer.
But if there is an official photographer in the wedding and you are going to only take some family snap shoots, then go for it and best of luck. Don't forget the role of lens and flash/Light, in addition to the camera body.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 17-07-17, 07:19

My recommendation is on Canon EOS 5D Mark III. I use this camera in my family member's wedding as well as my cuisines wedding and must say it produce best result for me.