WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Wide Angle

Old 25-07-09, 19:07

Default Wide Angle

Hi all im looking for a wide angle lens for my sony alpha 200. At present i have the kit lens which is 18-70 so obviously looking for something lower than this
but to be honest im a bit clueless. I have been looking on ebay but im still none the wiser.
Im not looking to spend a fortune. I was considering the screw on wide angle adapters is this a good idea?
any advice is greatly appreciated
thanks
fred.
Old 25-07-09, 19:26

I haven't used these adapters personally, but haven't heard anything good about them that I remember. Might be OK if you just want to see if you like WA though. Something I wish I'd done before I bought the Siggy 10-20, only to find I hate using anything under 50mm

Old 26-07-09, 04:16

Back in the days when we were all using film I bought screw on wide angle and telephoto lens for my Olympus. I have used both with my alpha without any problems.
Old 26-07-09, 07:47

thanks for the reply's i think its going to be far more sensible to buy a screw on lens to see what the difference it like and as deci said if i like it.
There's no point in spending lot of money on something only to find i don't like it.
Old 27-07-09, 12:49

Using anything wider than the 18mm well (which is 28mm equivalent) is quite challenging. From what I have read in the past do not expect too much from a screw on adaptor quality wise but it would give you a feel of what a wide angle is like to use. I am OK with the 28mm equivalent but struggle with anything much wider, I tend to use the telephoto end for landscape.
Old 05-12-09, 12:49

I recommend the Tamron SP 17mm f3.5. Its really sharp for a rectalinear wide angle lens, even wide open. It has great contrast, low CA, its fairly light and compact and because its an Adaptall mount lens you can easily convert it to practically any brand of camera simply by buying the relevant brand related Adaptall adapter for it so if you decide to change camera brand or have two or more different brand cameras you can use the same lens on every one, saving you a bundle!
The version I have also has several built in filters which can be selected by turning a ring a at the front of the lens, but they are'nt really much use for digital work so I keep it on the normal setting.
Its gives really nice neutral colours with no strange casts like you can get with some other wide angle lenses.
I paid £149 for my practically mint model, which was reduced from £189, from a camera shop, but look on ebay and you should be able to find one cheaper than that.

Last edited by sigmasd14; 05-12-09 at 12:53.
Old 29-12-09, 18:40

I just bought and used today for the first time my tamron 10-24 x canon........ just amazing!!
Old 30-12-09, 17:44

Hi Fred, Try either a Sigma 10-20mm, or Tokina 12-24mm. Both are available in Sony / KonicaMinolta AF fitting. These are both great pieces of glass, and these two tend to head the tables in terms of the reviews I've seen. Though, there are other options from other manufacturers that offer excellent quality.
Would advise NOT to buy this particular type of lens on ebay (they go for silly expensive prices on there), as these are quite often cheaper to buy new from places like warehouse express, or secondhand from your local camera dealer, both later options offer warranties too.
Hope this helps
Old 31-12-09, 10:36

The Sigma 10-20 is a great lens - I have the Nikon fit, It won't let you down.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 31-12-09, 19:33

I love my Sigma 10-20.