WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

digital or film???

Old 08-09-11, 05:03

Default digital or film???

i have a few great old russian cameras in my collection. some 35mm and some 120 film. everytime i do a job for a wedding and so forth with the 120 and with another photographer using the 35mm cam we get a great round of applause from the client and they go goo for the images that are produced by film.

On the other hand when i do jobs with the 35mm full framer camera the clients love the amount of shots too choose from.

Im just wondering which do you prefer???

cheers rusty
Old 08-09-11, 10:10
Super Moderator

I far prefer digital for a number of reasons:

Firstly the cost. When shooting a wedding I can take extra shots to make sure I get the one I want (the cost of film limits this somewhat), on a short coverage I'd expect to take 600+ shots and on a full day probably double that. When shooting a full day with two shooters we will normally take over 2000 shots, there's no way I'd do that on film.

Secondly and probably most importantly is the ability to alter ISO on the fly, to move from a dark venue shooting at ISO3200 outside into the sun and be able to flick down to ISO200. I also love how clean the high ISO images are, at 3200 I don't touch the files with any NR and there's no noise issue when printed.

Lastly I like the fact that I am in control of the images from start to finish - I take the shots, process them in lightroom and then get them printed in a pro lab with the instructions to print without adjusting - this means that the photos that the client ends up with are exactly how I want them to look.
Old 08-09-11, 16:10

I usually prefer film, but your points about the wedding pictures are all valid. I think in every occasion where you need to satisfy a final customer instead of yourself (I tend to accept my failures to myself a lot better than my failures in front of others), it's a good idea to consider those elements.
Old 09-09-11, 10:39

As a just for fun photo person I like digital. Grow up with B&W film and the darkroom always enjoyed the darkroom most.
Just so much more I can do with digital that would never have been possible with film. Love the mess I can make in Photoshop just so much fun to play with.
Old 10-09-11, 18:30

Yawn - we have covered this before http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=5411

It boils down to what you like personally, both in terms of process and finished product, and what satisfies your customer. Photography is an art, there are no absolutes. It's like asking which is best out of oil pastels and watercolours. They are different media and they produce different results.

I personally prefer film.

Last edited by Alex1994; 10-09-11 at 18:34.
Old 25-09-11, 20:05

A colleague of mine was taking some photos at his sisters wedding yesterday. He was going to take his Pentax 6x7. Pictures I've seen on previous occasions are simply stunning. There's no subtitute for the subtle selective focus available with a bright lens on a 6x7 neg...unless you have deep pockets for a medium format digi system. recreating selective focus on PS never looks quite the same.
However, having said all that, for his own peace of mind, I did suggest he ACTUALLY take his Nikon D3, with a borrowed D2 as back up, what with it being his sisters wedding an all!!!!!! ;-)