WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which camera should I buy?

Old 27-07-09, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Hello Ben,

A very warm welcome to WPF.
We'll see how you feel next month...When the Honey Moon is over
Old 12-08-09, 20:28

Default Learning curve

I've owned a Canon 300d for over 5 years and to be honest never really got out of the 'P' mode. I know about aperture, shutter speed etc but didn't want to ruin shots by making mistakes in the settings (maybe some embarassment aswell standing fiddling with the camera for too long came into it)

I bought a G10 a week ago, and because the controls are on knobs rather than in menus, and I can see their effect in the LCD while framing, I have it set to Av mode most of the time, adjust ISO when I need to and have even played with exposure compensation!

I'm not saying that the G10 is the camera for everyone, but I think that learners would benefit by choosing a camera with a LiveView LCD and functions that can be changed without needing to search through menus. Maybe more modern dslr's meet these criteria, but the 300d certainly didn't for me.

I do now feel more inclined to play with these functions on the 300d and hope to use both cameras a lot more in the future.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 13-08-09, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxrj View Post
I can see their effect in the LCD while framing,
Really? I'm not sure if I've understood this statement. Are you suggesting you can see the effect of changing shutter speed and aperture on the final resulting picture as you adjust the controls before you press the shutter release button?
Old 13-08-09, 12:46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Really? I'm not sure if I've understood this statement. Are you suggesting you can see the effect of changing shutter speed and aperture on the final resulting picture as you adjust the controls before you press the shutter release button?
I guess he's refering to the way that you can see how exposure adjustments will effect the final image. With my G9 the image on the LCD does give a clear indication of DOF and exposure. If you adjust the aperture then the change in DOF is viasble on the screen, likewise if you alter the metering mode or exposure comp the effects are visable. The effect of shutter speed on stopping motion blur cannot be shown, so you just have to get the hang of that.
Old 16-09-09, 18:52

Hi to all,
I´m just a newbee in this, and I have few questions about digital cameras for about 300 eur.
Canon is my first love.
I have right now only the cheap one- Ixus 4.0, few years old, and I am satisfied.
Just, I´ve notice, for a nice photo I have to have lots of light ( for nature and landscapes) ex. http://www.world-in-picture.com/euro.../dusseldorf-40

I planning to buy new one, also Ixus but 990, because it´s small and you can allways put it in the pocket wherever you go. Quality is, I think, like all Canon, very good, and most important on this one is 5x optical zoom.
So, if someone can tell me few nice words about other dig. cameras this type, or this is
best choice right now( for cca. 300Eur)

The Mediterranean as it once was;;http://www.vava.hr
Old 16-09-09, 20:47

Yes, having lots of light helps, especially since you can't fill landscapes with flash.

What you mean is the 'contre-jour' or backlight effect. This is basically where light is coming mostly from behind the subject and this tricks the camera's exposure meter into thinking there is enough light for a good exposure although the subject is not well lit.

What you want to use in that instance is the spot meter; this is where the camera measures light on a tiny spot, usually the middle. What you do is you put the camera into spot meter mode (my IXUS 75 has it so the 990 must have it too), aim the centre at the backlit building, press to focus, recompose the picture and shoot. You will end up with a slightly overexposed sky but a more or less correctly lit building ;-)

If you take pictures just for the hell of it then the Ixus 990 will be enough. However, if you want to try something a bit more higher-level, artistic where a more versatile camera is needed, you ought to be looking at a big SLR.

Are the pictures on vava.hr yours?
Old 17-09-09, 07:53

Hi all, i am a newbie on photography and got my very first camera weeks ago.. a compact camera : samsung WB550.

i was told that whatever type or high end of camera could not produce a stunning picture, but end of the day it is the the skills of the photographer.

could someone advise or oppinion. Thanks
Old 17-09-09, 09:33

Are the pictures on vava.hr yours?[/quote]
no, from friend of mine.
Here are few mine http://www.world-in-picture.com/euro.../dusseldorf-40

Thank you very much for your advice and help
Old 17-09-09, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjong1976 View Post
i was told that whatever type or high end of camera could not produce a stunning picture, but end of the day it is the the skills of the photographer.

could someone advise or oppinion. Thanks
Absolutely right. This was the point I was trying to make with the first post in this thread. Give the best camera in the world to a bad photographer, and they will still produce bad photos.
Old 19-01-10, 10:50

Quote:
For someone looking for their first serious camera, it’s important to get a camera that YOU can use effectively without a whole bunch of features you don’t want getting in the way. If you feel overwhelmed by the options and user settings, then you’re going to be put off using the camera. If you’re put off from using it, you’re not going to become a good photographer.
This is so true - I have owned 3 DSLR's in a space of 4 months because 2 of the models i just could not get along with as the features made taking pictures complicated to me which in itself was taking the enjoyment away from it.