WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Dedicated photo drive, minimum recommended size.

Old 30-03-06, 20:14

Default Dedicated photo drive, minimum recommended size.

Hi all,
what is the minimum size of Hard disk drive that you recommend for photo storage, currently I am using a 40GB external HDD, that doubles up as the main hard drive in my desktop, if i get that up and running.
Old 30-03-06, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britner
Hi all,
what is the minimum size of Hard disk drive that you recommend for photo storage, currently I am using a 40GB external HDD, that doubles up as the main hard drive in my desktop, if i get that up and running.
Its unwise to be dogmatic about these things. However by todays standards 40GB does seem small. My Laptop has 100GB and I also have an external 250GB., but it won't last long before it gets full. My 100GB is partitioned and the OS and programs are on one, data on the other, though most istransferred to the external ASAP. The point is though that memory is relatively cheap these days, and its easy to fit an additional drive in a desktop machine for not much money
Old 31-03-06, 09:43

I dont think there is a recommended HDD size for storing photos. The larger a drive is, more photos can be stored but the greater risk of loss through failure. I detract but I use CF cards that allow 200 photos then I change to another card. I take several cards home at the end of a day in case one fails or is lost.

I use 120GB disks that allow one year of my photography to be stored. I am upgrading to 200GB due to better cost/GB ratio. I always have two copies of all photos taken and processed in two separate places.
Old 31-03-06, 13:53

This is certainly a "how long is a piece of string?" type questions. Hard Drive storage is dirt cheap at the moment, have a look at the prices and work out which represents the biggest bang for your buck. Very high capacity drives tend to go for a premium, so betting something in the 200-250Gb range often works out cheaper per Gb.

I find external drives more flexible for longer-term storage and I've got several LaCie 250Gb USB2 drives which I can swap between laptop and desktops.

A 250Gb internal drive will cost you under £70 (unless you insist on shopping at PC world) a similarly sized external HDD will cost about £30 more. Many of us will spend this sort of cash on a 2Gb CF card, so it represents very cheap storage indeed.
Old 03-04-06, 02:21

I have a 300gb external hard drive totaly dedicated to photos, i also burn all my photos to cds which are stored elsewhere. I also store smaller copys of my images, which are used for internet forums etc on my laptop which has a 40gb hard drive.
Old 03-04-06, 07:54

My 40GB external harddrive will last untill I can afford a higher capcity drive, I've also got 2 30GB drives too.