WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Long Exposures

Old 06-03-10, 08:57

Suggest you try 1/15th and see what it comes out like. Moving water will still have quite a lot of blur at this speed.

Wait until it gets darker, dawn or dusk, you'll get much slower speeds then. 1 or 2 seconds will be easily achievable in darker conditions.
Old 08-03-10, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Alex,
If you have a polariser that will cut 2 stops so you are nearly there.

Don
... but if you have two polarisers you have complete control and the ability to shut it down to almost complete darkness.

Here's how it works:
Light travels in waves like ~~~~ A polarising filter works like a grid and only lets waves through that are the right way round like = or ||. So, if you have two turned at 90 degree angles you stop light no matter which way round it is.

This means you have variable control in all light conditions, just turn one of the polarisers to get from a minimum of 4 stops to pitch black.
Old 08-03-10, 18:22

Polarisers have other effects as well which you may or may not want, especially when shooting water. Their effect is not uniform across the frame either which especially shows up with wide angles. Best to use the correct tools for the job.
Old 08-03-10, 19:31

Yes this is true, polarisers are often used for removing unwanted reflections and glare from glass or water so it will have an effect on the image (good or bad is subjective) but the versatility of it is incredible so a handy technique to know.

The other downside to this of course is cost, a decent circular polariser for a 77mm lens is around £150 so not the cheapest option either - then again each ND is £70-£80 for comparable quality.
Old 08-03-10, 21:33

I've been doing some tests and it turns out that 1/15th or 1/8th give me the perfect amount of blurring, so I guess I don't need a polariser or ND filter, just a tripod =)
Old 08-03-10, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
I've been doing some tests and it turns out that 1/15th or 1/8th give me the perfect amount of blurring, so I guess I don't need a polariser or ND filter, just a tripod =)
Excellent, look forward to seeing some shots then.
Old 02-04-10, 22:07

The event was last Sunday - went down with my OM-1 and tripod and got some good frames at 1/8 and 1/4 of a second. Weather was typical British cloudiness which worked in my favour. I don't know when the roll will be finished and developed but once it is I'll get it onto the forum!
Old 22-04-10, 23:36

As promised the best photo is now in the gallery http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?photo=49437

Alex
Old 23-04-10, 09:41

Looks like you got what you wanted exposure wise. The 'still group' a bit small in the frame to make the contrast between them and the moving people stand out? Nit picking I know as you would have had limited or no real control.