WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Chimping, is it just me?

Old 29-05-06, 18:14

Default Chimping, is it just me?

Having observed many other photographers at Southend air-show yesterday, I was surprised by the number of people instantly reviewing every single picture they took (a.k.a. “chimping”). I can understand the occasional check now and again if you’ve tried a shot that you think may have not worked out too well. I can also understand the quick flick through if you are getting short on space and the review screen is a useful tool for clearing out the obvious duds to make space.

Having learned photography using film, I’ve never really got used to the idea of being able to review pics immediately, I’ve been used to taking a reel of film and sending it off for D&P. The review is when the prints came back. I used to keep a notebook with the settings used for each shot and compare print with notes. I have to say that EXIF is a godsend! I chimp when I feel the need to (see above), but not for every picture. Apart from anything else, it really extends my battery life by not reviewing more than now and again.

I’m not saying what I’m doing is right, and everybody else is wrong, far from it, do whatever you feel comfortable with. I was just rather taken aback by the number of others around me chimping every pic, it came as a bit of a culture shock. Is it just me?

Duncan
Old 29-05-06, 18:43
Super Moderator

I have to say Duncan with the wedding this weekend I will be doing a lot of "chimping" good word that, I like it. For bird photo's no I don't chimp until I have stopped taking photo's. BUT! if its a bird photo I want to make sure I have got the best, after I have taken a few for safety, then yes I chimp. I used to use a polaroid to check everything was setup right when I had film cameras if the takes where very important, it saved on re-shoots. So you could say I am a definate chimper.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 29-05-06, 19:15

I think you have a lot of will power Duncan!

I think taking a look after every shot is excessive, and chances are, if you look this often, with some subjects you'll miss some shots. I suppose it depends on the type of photography and the confidence you have in your ability. I photograph birds, and do not yet feel confident enough in all situations to take a series of shots without reviewing the histogram. If possible, I'll take one or two, review the histogram(s), adjust the compensation (if necessary) and then fire away. Perhaps with your experience with exposure control you do not feel the need to do this?

But, to get back to my original point, I think it's just that some of us get too exited by the process (perhaps we need to get out more) and simply cannot resist a quick peep!
Old 29-05-06, 20:14

I am with Duncan on this one - apart from glancing at the histogram for correct metering on occasions I rarely actually look at any of my shots until I get home and upload them to the PC.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 29-05-06, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C
I am with Duncan on this one - apart from glancing at the histogram for correct metering on occasions I rarely actually look at any of my shots until I get home and upload them to the PC.
Same here. just the ocassional glance at the histogram.

Harry
Old 29-05-06, 20:48

I really don't know what the problem is. Why shouldn't we chimp? (the definitive site is HERE BTW)

Now I know I'm going to upset some people here, but I feel sure some of you have never really moved on from the days of film. Everything in digital photography has to be compared with using film. We mustn't take a load of exposures, we must nail the exposure from the outset, we mustn't manipulate the images cos thats not what the camera took, now you are bringing into question the practice of reviewing images in the camera. Don't we need to move on, don't we need think digitally and work digitally, take advantage of whats at our disposal.

Chimping is simply fulfilling a need to review a series of shots, perhaps editing as we go. The DSLR user doesn't have the advantage of a wysiwyg preview screen, so its a comfort to know you have nailed it As for using the histogram, well I'm afraid I have never seen a pro shooter checking that when working on the hoof a glance at the image in the screen is enough usually. As for battery life, well that should not be an issue, don't you carry a spare ?

So Duncan & Roy, I'm afraid it just may be you. Don't chimp at your peril.
Take no offence guys, its all tongue in cheek.
Old 29-05-06, 21:18

I suppose it depends on what you shoot. I might shoot a few frames in half an hour, and I tend to check the histogram after the first shot, just to make sure. I prefer to get an accurate exposure as it reduces noise and highlight clipping.

Leif
Old 29-05-06, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
uncan & Roy, I'm afraid it just may be you. Don't chimp at your peril.
Take no offence guys, its all tongue in cheek.
No Offence taken Stephen but I had never heard of the word 'chimping' before this thread, nor do I say who is right or wrong. I just state that I do not 'chimp' (probably because I cannot be bothered). As for moving on to digital - I have never know anything other than digital as I have only been snapping for a couple of years. I guess 'chimping' is for those that take their photography a lot more serious than I.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 29-05-06, 23:11
Super Moderator

chimping - what a great term, not one I've heard before...

Personally I don't tend to do it much, the odd look to check that I'm happy with the settings and that the exposure's about right.
Old 29-05-06, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C
No Offence taken Stephen but I had never heard of the word 'chimping' before this thread, nor do I say who is right or wrong. I just state that I do not 'chimp' (probably because I cannot be bothered). As for moving on to digital - I have never know anything other than digital as I have only been snapping for a couple of years. I guess 'chimping' is for those that take their photography a lot more serious than I.
Ha Ha best not to take things too seriously eh Roy lol