WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Digiscoping and airshow photography

Old 01-01-06, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
I'd seriously look at a 2nd hand lens >300mm rather than get a cheap 300mm that you'll end up getting frutrated with. If it means you have to wait and save up, then wait and save up.
Ollie,

Let me introduce 'lens lust'. Its a condition where the sufferer becomes unhappy with current lens line-up and decides a more expensive alternative often with longer reach or faster performance.

Duncan is absolutely right here, we have all done it - just passing on our experience. For that recommendation a perfect lens for airshows is Nikon 80-400VR but it's costly and not a first lens but with VR (Vibration Reduction) it allows slow shutter speeds for those prop shots.

Second choice is that Sigma 50-500 again, its wide enough (50mm) for those taxy shots at Duxford and has extreme reach (500mm) for those airbourne shots at Old Warden. I reckon 30% of all lenses at airshows are 50-500 or 170-500 but 50-500 is a great all rounder and a 'keep-on' lens.

Be patient and try to get a used copy I believe £350 should be a realistic cost.
Old 01-01-06, 13:03

eeek. £350 is alot more than i was planning on spending.
Old 01-01-06, 13:08

Wait and save up as Duncan corrently advises. The airshow season does not start until May.

There is plenty of time - be cool
Old 01-01-06, 13:10

I will wait. But i am the kind of person that likes to realy get to know the camera before. And my photography interests dont just lie in aeroplanes.
Old 01-01-06, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
I will wait. But i am the kind of person that likes to realy get to know the camera before. And my photography interests dont just lie in aeroplanes.
Fairplay Ollie,

For general photography try a 'nifty fifty' (Nikon 50mm f1.8) they are inexpensive as they are massed produced and very sharp with fast focusing. Everyone should have one.

Check out warehouse express and Jessops but you should able to find one new at £80 and used £50.
Old 01-01-06, 13:16

Thank you all for your advice.
Old 01-01-06, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
If you're going to get body + kit lens, the 18-55 kit item will certainly let you get to know the camera very well. By all means buy a 50mm prime too as Stephen has advised, if you can afford it, they are fast, sharp and cheap.

Kit lenses offer fantastic VFM when purchased with a new body and are useful learning tools. They are often slated on forums as rubbish by new users, very often unfairly as the faults sometimes lie elsewhere. Granted, kit lenses aren't the best, but they can produce excellent results if you work within their limitations. With every new lens you buy, there's a steep learning curve to go through.

I have a Pentax 100-300 that cost £460 new in 1994, wish I'd saved up longer and bought something with longer reach for airshows. Lenses cost a lot more in those days and you didn't have the digital "crop factor" to assist you. Just trying to stop you making the same mistakes.

Duncan.
Old 01-01-06, 17:26

Thank you for your kind words of help.
Old 19-03-06, 18:05

Question. I plan to leap the pond in September. During my visit I would like to see the "Red Arrows". Any suggestions as to venue? I am presently using a Minolta 7i and have had good luck with it. I am, as others have stated looking for a longer lens. Will be making my choice as soon as the latest 12X "superzooms" have been tested.

Jim
Old 19-03-06, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Question. I plan to leap the pond in September. During my visit I would like to see the "Red Arrows". Any suggestions as to venue? I am presently using a Minolta 7i and have had good luck with it. I am, as others have stated looking for a longer lens. Will be making my choice as soon as the latest 12X "superzooms" have been tested.

Jim
September is at the tail end of the airshow season. July seems to be peaktime with most large shows. September does have some shows however tend to be smaller. Please see link for Red's airshow dates for 2006.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/dates.html

hope it helps.