WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

What do you take pictures of?

Old 09-01-06, 19:02
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker
exif data would exclude anyone from scanning a film for their entry
I did think of that, and at first, judging by the number of posts where there is no exif data, I thought that a lot of members were doing that. When I look more closely I notice that a lot of those posts have things like D70, or 20D, or CP4500 etc under equipment used, so why doesn't the exif show up. Is it because that they are using save for web to keep the file size down and this strips it out?

So here's a question - how many members are using film & scanning?

Quote:
This might cause problems on a world-wide website because you could never have any season-based categories
Must admit, didn't think of that but looking at the sort of themes Dave mentioned I would have thought we could have come up with 10 themes that didn't rely on the time of year and would challenge to go where we haven't gone before. Afterall, I guess we've all taken seasonal shots at some time or other
Old 09-01-06, 20:31

Mainly Landscapes and some wildlife. As a beginner I shy away from Portraits but look for anything unusual that is not people related. Quite Like architecture but this appears a bit more difficult.

It has been a huge learning curve and am enjoying it immensely. More disaapointments than succes but when I get an image I like the feeling is pretty good.

Tried some night shots Friday! Interesting. not too unhappy with the results. Would ike to include some light trails in the picture so will have to go out again sometime.

Nogbad
Old 09-01-06, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders
I did think of that, and at first, judging by the number of posts where there is no exif data, I thought that a lot of members were doing that. When I look more closely I notice that a lot of those posts have things like D70, or 20D, or CP4500 etc under equipment used, so why doesn't the exif show up. Is it because that they are using save for web to keep the file size down and this strips it out?

So here's a question - how many members are using film & scanning?
Not many scanning now, I should think, other than for digitising previous work.

I use 'save for web' which does indeed remove the exif data. It seems to appear better on-screen than a normally compressed jpeg at the same file-size.

One of the advantages of the competitions on the sister-website Birdforum is the inclusive nature which encourages everyone to join in. I think the more ambitious suggestions you're proposing might actually put off a lot of members. Some photo magazines use a similar format and I would imagine that a large number of readers never even consider entering, just leaving it to the dedicated few.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 09-01-06, 21:25

I must say that I have not yet made the decision to change from film to digital, not that I don't think digital is good enough, it's just that I don't see a reason to change my current camera gear (which cost me an arm and a leg) when I can do all I want and more from film! I religiously inspect my slides through a Nikon 10X loupe as soon as they come back from processing, any that are suspect are binned, any that I think are worth keeping I do a full scan of and save to disk. Once I've done this I am free to do anything I wish with the picture digitally, using Photoshop or any other photo manipulation software. From this point on the end result is no different to the pictures produced from a digital camera!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 09-01-06 at 21:29.
Old 09-01-06, 21:39

Quote:
One of the advantages of the competitions on the sister-website Birdforum is the inclusive nature which encourages everyone to join in. I think the more ambitious suggestions you're proposing might actually put off a lot of members. Some photo magazines use a similar format and I would imagine that a large number of readers never even consider entering, just leaving it to the dedicated few.

I'm not sure what is being proposed here is so different to BF - that has a different theme each month - albeit within a common genre - but thats because the forum is dedicated to birds. If this one is to be dedicated to photography then surely there should be scope to broaden the horizons.

That said I sure one could come up with themes which give lots of scope for people to think as widely or as comfortably as they wish. Single word themes such as Wood, People, Indoors, Night, Colour, Buildings are extremely unrestricting but perhaps offer some simple challenges to help us diversify.

As to Exif I think its useful to see for other people to learn from but for those using film or wishing to "Save for Web" there could be an option/requirement to include the basic elements in the description.

And for date - trust people's integrity - its not as if there's millions at stake.

Last edited by Nigel G; 09-01-06 at 21:49.
Old 09-01-06, 22:01

Anything that stays still long enough..Really I take anything that catches my eye or I find interesting.I'm still very new to this and finding it a good challenge but a very steep learning curve..
Old 09-01-06, 23:51

For me 60% aviation, 20% landscapes, 20% other things.
Old 09-01-06, 23:54

I think the competition idea is a good idea. Im sure we can come up with enough themes to keep it going and incorporate everyone. I hope the themes will challenge people if they whant to be challenged but at the same time people can take simple ones as well.
Old 10-01-06, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G
I'm not sure what is being proposed here is so different to BF - that has a different theme each month - albeit within a common genre - but thats because the forum is dedicated to birds. If this one is to be dedicated to photography then surely there should be scope to broaden the horizons.

That said I sure one could come up with themes which give lots of scope for people to think as widely or as comfortably as they wish. Single word themes such as Wood, People, Indoors, Night, Colour, Buildings are extremely unrestricting but perhaps offer some simple challenges to help us diversify.

As to Exif I think its useful to see for other people to learn from but for those using film or wishing to "Save for Web" there could be an option/requirement to include the basic elements in the description.

And for date - trust people's integrity - its not as if there's millions at stake.
Well Birdforum only have the occasional prize competition and even then they had to restrict it to members who had been joined for at least a month to keep those away who were only after the prize and had no other interest in the site. Most months the competition is just for 'fun' to encourage everyone to join in. If every month is a prize-winner with all of them counting up to the 'big' prize it could get too serious for some.

BF also don't restrict the entry to photos taken within the previous month. It would be a crying shame if you took that once-in-a-lifetime shot in one month only to have the appropriate category two months away!

I understand what Gidders is trying to suggest - as I indicated it's similar to what photo mags do with their 'Photographer of the Year' competitions and it's meant to get you out taking photos regularly so that you're always alert to possible opportunities.

With WPF's gallery, though, the better your photos the more compliments you're going to get, so the incentive is already there

Of course, WPF isn't anywhere near to the size of BF (yet ) so getting sponsors for all the rounds and the final might be a bit difficult, anyway - a 'Trolley Dash' around Warehouse Express or one of the bigger Jessops branches would make a nice top prize, though, wouldn't it!!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-01-06, 16:15

20% birds, 80% various (empty branches, empty sky, bird-free feeders etc.)

Seriously, I currently shoot 90% birds, with the rest rural landscapes or wild animals. It used to be the other way round...

I would like the challenge of a themed competition that got me thinking and looking for subjects rather than automatically bolting on a telephoto lens and heading for a feeding station when I was lacking inspiration.

Exif data - I save jpg without, but would be happy (and will now) include it. I do think that seeing the settings and kit used on shots can be educational.

Cheers Mark.