WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass

Old 21-02-06, 11:27

Default How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass

I find it difficult to take a pic if the subject is behind a glass(e.g.like a fish in a fish tank).I find the the subject has too much glare(i know it is a silly one but having difficulty while taking a pic's of my Fish in my practice.).I am using a Kowa T.D.1 and the distance i am taking it is about 20feet it works well for other subjects but not behind a glass.: .Has any one used a Kowa T.D.1 i need to know so many things that i am missing .Thanks guys & girls oh forgot Singhs.(ah).
Old 21-02-06, 20:32

Hi Manjeet,

I was going to say that you needed to shield the glass from reflections. Then I read the 20 feet away bit !!

Perhaps a case of posting a pic of the kit you are using may help.

Don
Old 21-02-06, 21:03
Super Moderator

Manjeet the easiest way is to take the fish out of the tank, lay it on a white plate, surround it with a few succulent vegetables to add contrast and interest. You will also find that the fish while laying there might get a little frown on its head thinking its going into the oven, a few kind words of reassurance should dismiss this thought and it will be happy with the new surroundings for a little while. Do remember to keep dipping it back in the tank to bring out the sheen on its scales. Ha! Ha!
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 21-02-06, 21:04

Manjeet,why do you have to be 20ft away,not Pirahanas(misspelt,me thinks)are they!!!.I take bird shots through a window,and the camera lens is as close to the glass as poss.I have read that one should rest the shade of the lens agains't the glass to avoid glare etc.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 21-02-06, 21:31

You could try using a circular polarizing filter. You would not be able to shoot square on to the glass. For best effect the lens axis should be inclined to a perpendicular to the glass at roughly 38 dgrees (it depends on its refractive index)

Last edited by John; 23-02-06 at 10:25.
Old 22-02-06, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Manjeet,why do you have to be 20ft away,not Pirahanas(misspelt,me thinks)are they!!!.I take bird shots through a window,and the camera lens is as close to the glass as poss.I have read that one should rest the shade of the lens agains't the glass to avoid glare etc.
The problem is that if i get any closer the image dosnt come in the L.C.D or the view finder.I tried without zoom but the reflaction was too much.I dont have filters(a back water town-i plan to go to Kuala Lumpor next sunday i hope i can find some.).Will try again and see what happens then will attach the pic's in my reply.Thanks. Don hoey i will post a pic's of my T.D.1 soon-i hope it will help.Thanks.

Last edited by Dr.Manjeet Singh; 22-02-06 at 01:01.
Old 22-02-06, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Manjeet the easiest way is to take the fish out of the tank, lay it on a white plate, surround it with a few succulent vegetables to add contrast and interest. You will also find that the fish while laying there might get a little frown on its head thinking its going into the oven, a few kind words of reassurance should dismiss this thought and it will be happy with the new surroundings for a little while. Do remember to keep dipping it back in the tank to bring out the sheen on its scales. Ha! Ha!
Would love to do that and almost tried but then felt that will be too much of a temptation for me- may decide to eat it-it wgs about 2.5kg(ah)
Old 22-02-06, 12:57

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
You could try using a circular polarizing filter. You would not be able to shoot square on to the glass. For best effect the lens axis should be inclined to a perpendicular to the glass at roughly 30 dgrees (it depends on its refractive index)
That's certainly the way I used to do it using 35 mm.
Old 23-02-06, 20:43

Hi Manjeet,
Your post first made me think you were having a laugh on us, and the various replies "seemed" to indicate that; especially with the 20 feet bit!
Then I thought TDI =Turbo Diesel Injection (car), and then I thought pet "Jaws" in tank, stand well back.Then I thought, no such thing as a silly question, only a silly answer.So I went google, typed in "kowa TDI", and what a supprise I got.Please all look, especially Andy Bright and let us know what you think???
regards Subzero.
Old 23-02-06, 21:07
Super Moderator

Looking at the TD1 I would have thought you would have to be in the next state to get any photo's, 1350 max zoom wow thats long.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.