WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Weekend challenge 1st-2nd Nov:- Fruit

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 06-11-08, 13:25

Congratulaions to Yelvertoft, for your stunning photo.
Old 06-11-08, 16:52

As I saw the thumbnails, almost every one of the entry looked very promising. It was tough for me come to a conclusion until i saw "lime light".... it was perfect in every sense and a very striking image.... did not look any further.

Congratulations Yelvertoft.

Can you please share the set up done for this shoot? I want to try it out....

regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna; 07-11-08 at 00:59.
Old 06-11-08, 18:18

Thanks guys for your votes and encouragement. I'll have a think about the theme for this weekend.

Tifosi, I knew someone would ask me that sort of question. A verbal description, as I haven't got any citrus fruit left to repeat for a picture of the setup:

Take a rectangular glass flower vase and put it on a black cloth. Raise the black cloth on three sides to cut down on stray reflections and also give the dark outside edge to the bubbles.

Take one thin slice of lime, put the centre of the slice on the end of a cocktail stick. Slide the slice of lime into the vase so that it is pressed against the inside front (the side which does not have raised black cloth) face of the vase. Break stick to length to hold lime in place by wedging other end of stick against back inside face of vase. Place camera on tripod so that it is viewing the face of lime slice that's pressed against the glass.

Take flashgun, attach remote trigger cable, a simple single contact one in my case and set flash to manual power. Have flash pointing towards the camera, i.e. illuminating the back of the lime slice, and raise it up (on a stack of CD cases if that's what you happen to have to hand ) so that the centre of the flash aligns with the centre of the lime slice and the centre of the camera view. Really make sure the camera is aligned perfectly squarely to the vase/slice.

Set camera to fully manual exposure, set trigger to max flash synch speed, set aperture to give good DoF at close range, f/14 in this case, small aperture will also create a degree of starburst effect to the catchlights. Set flash to a low power setting, I started at 1/64th max power initially and flash zoom to the widest angle it will go to, which is 18mm with the Metz AF58-1. Set camera focus to manual and ensure focus is on the face of the lime slice.

Fill vase with fresh tonic water, fire off a test shot, chimp, adjust flash power to compensate, repeat until you get it right, it doesn't take long. I ended up with 1/128th power after about 3 adjustments.

Top up vase with another generous splash of tonic to get some extra fresh bubbles, take final shot.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 06-11-08, 22:49

fantastic shot Duncan.
It fitted the theme perfectly.
Thanks for the break down of how it was done
looking forward to this weekend
cheers
Joe
Old 07-11-08, 11:08
Chris

clever stuff Duncan, master of anything edible as usual, surprised it did not need any gin in the set-up description, maybe vase residue would have spoilt taste