WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Another tripod help thread....

Old 19-04-06, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
I would recommend to Stephen that even though it breaks his budget, he looks at a studio grade tripod. The logic being that it would be capable of holding any of his kit. So it is a recommendation for the long term, without the potential need for upgrade in the future. It takes into consideration the D2X resolution and also the quality of Stephens glass.

There is no doubt that the 055 would be a significant step up from the current tripod, but with limitations.

To illustrate the differences I have attached pics comparing my Slik professional with the 055 and Benbo.

In the image of all three tripods the legs are at full extension. The D100 with 80-200 is to give scale.
As I have posted seperately for the Benbo where its top leg section can be seen, I have done a comparative pic between the 055 and the Slik.
I have included a picture of all three feet for area of surface contact, reference. The Slik obviously wins on a hard surface and the Benbo/Uniloc off road.

Don
As the saying goes...'A picture speaks a thousand words' Dons comparative photos illustrate stark differences. I caught tripod lust after I used Dons Slik Professional tripod on Saturday (see thread 'A get together with Stephen') I am now in search of a professional studio grade tripod as I don't want to be exposed to the what if question in my mind....or faced with tripod lust again.
Old 19-04-06, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi Leif

I agree the Benbo Trekker is not a very well made tripod, a friend of mine had one for a while, he was always having trouble with it. The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a far more robust and versatile tripod, it's only slightly heavier than the Trekker and slightly cheaper to buy! The Uniloc range of tripods are very similar to the Benbo range, they are designed and made by the original designer of the Benbo but are superior in build quality.

nirofo.
Thanks. I had suspected as much. I disassembled my Uniloc 1600 and thought the design was simple but very functional.

Stephen: if you want to truly engage in tripod lust, check out Sachtler tripods. Or maybe you had better not for the sake of your family!

Leif
Old 19-04-06, 22:45
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif

Stephen: if you want to truly engage in tripod lust, check out Sachtler tripods. Or maybe you had better not for the sake of your family!

Leif
I did mention Sachtler to Stephen in a pm a couple of nights ago... he may still be recovering
Old 19-04-06, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I did mention Sachtler to Stephen in a pm a couple of nights ago... he may still be recovering

Or furtively surfing their web site when he thinks no-one is looking ...
Old 20-04-06, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif

Or furtively surfing their web site when he thinks no-one is looking ...
ROTFLOL
Old 20-04-06, 18:49

Unfortunately there is not a Slik professional studio grade tripod in the country. The compact version is in supply and production however the larger 'professional 4' is made to order in Japan and one supplier claimed it could be over two months for delivery.

Bread and water for the family this evening so they acquire a taste for more economical means of living!!
Old 20-04-06, 18:58

Poor little James!
Old 27-04-06, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Unfortunately there is not a Slik professional studio grade tripod in the country. The compact version is in supply and production however the larger 'professional 4' is made to order in Japan and one supplier claimed it could be over two months for delivery.

Bread and water for the family this evening so they acquire a taste for more economical means of living!!
I was encouraged to phone the U.K. distributor for Slik to clear conflicting stories from several retailers and was told, professional 4 has been discontinued but when I was about to terminate the conversation I was told where the last two were sold. I telephoned these retailers in turn and to my surprise - JACKPOT! I am not the proud owner of a Slik 'Professional 4' tripod. This thing is extremely well build and rock steady at normal working height. The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!

As I live in a regular house with normal height ceilings it is not possible to extend fully indoors so I went outside. Photos below are not a trick it really does extend higher than my garage without the centre column raised! Smaller photo at normal working height with MN229 head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tripodlarge.jpg (139.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg tripodsmall.jpg (104.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 28-04-06, 09:30

Quote:
The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!
A new catagory in the accessories section required - Stepladders

While mine is only the 3 legged version, I do find that quite often I am using it at such a height to get the angle, that I use a 2 tread set of steps.

Don
Old 28-04-06, 13:57

Quote:
I was encouraged to phone the U.K. distributor for Slik to clear conflicting stories from several retailers and was told, professional 4 has been discontinued but when I was about to terminate the conversation I was told where the last two were sold. I telephoned these retailers in turn and to my surprise - JACKPOT! I am not the proud owner of a Slik 'Professional 4' tripod. This thing is extremely well build and rock steady at normal working height. The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!

As I live in a regular house with normal height ceilings it is not possible to extend fully indoors so I went outside. Photos below are not a trick it really does extend higher than my garage without the centre column raised! Smaller photo at normal working height with MN229 head.

Why in heavens name would you want a tripod that extends to 8', how are you going to reach your camera, you'll need to include a set of step ladders in your photographic kit?

nirofo.