WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Problem

Old 09-04-07, 17:38

Default Problem

I am hoping that someone might be able to help with a problem that my new Panasonic FZ50 has developed.

This sounds really stupid, but I've noticed that in the past few days a dark shadowy sphere appearing on my photos. It's a bit like there's a speck of dust on the lens. However, I've cleaned the lens over and over again and it still appears. It's not a fault with my PC screen either, because it's also noticeable on the camera's LCD screen both in playback and in capture mode.

I'm thinking of contacting my camera's supplier but it seems like such a strange issue and I don't even know if it's a fault with the camera. It's difficult to explain without actually seeing it, so I've attached a photo which hopefully will illustrate what I mean. Take a look at the sky between the tree tops.

As you may have gathered, I am no expert but I am hoping that someone might be able to give me a clue as to what the problem is and how I can resolve it. Thank you.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000276.JPG (426.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-04-07, 17:55

I would guess that it is dust on the sensor. I don't know that camera so I can't advise a cure

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 09-04-07 at 20:18.
Old 09-04-07, 18:03

Thank you Ian. It did cross my mind that it was dust on the sensor but I thought that only occured on DSLRs because of opening the camera up to change lenses.

Phil
Old 09-04-07, 18:23

I have a similar problem with my little nikon cp4500. I got well and truly caught in a thunderstorm, and the camera, although in a case inside my rucksack, was subjected to a certain amount of humidity and, I'm guessing, condensation. This has left a small circle somewhere on the sensor or some internal surface - it looks as though there's a deposit where the moisture has dried. Like your camera, the 4500 is sealed and there's no exposure of internal parts as there is with dslr cameras.

I've long since bought a dslr so haven't got round to sending the cp4500 off to a nikon repair place, but your post has reminded me. I will let you know what they say...
Old 10-04-07, 16:44

I looks a little to big for sensor dust, more like a dried water/condensation mark.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 10-04-07, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
I looks a little to big for sensor dust, more like a dried water/condensation mark.
Thanks - that would be understandable if the camera had been exposed to moisture, but it hasn't.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 10-04-07, 22:36
Chris

for DSLRs copperhill images the sensor cleaning gurus tell you to take a pic of white sheet of paper at f22 or smaller
http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials
that establishes that the source is in-camera, but in your case not leading to obvious cure, but at least may help if it has to be returned for repair. Then more bad news they give you is that factory cleaned sensors often come back as bad or worse.
Old 17-04-07, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1962 View Post
Thanks - that would be understandable if the camera had been exposed to moisture, but it hasn't.

Cheers,
Phil
As the FZ50 isn't an SLR I would take it back. There is obviously something in the optics somewhere. In a new sealed camera this shouldn't happen.
Old 19-04-07, 21:39

Thanks for all the replies. The camera went off to a Panasonic service centre earlier this week. Hopefully, I will have some news soon.

Phil
Old 25-04-07, 14:33

The problem is now solved, it was caused by a small speck on the CCD which had to be cleaned off. I'm quite impressed with service by DK Audio Visual Services, the Panasonic service agent. The camera was collected, repaired and delivered back by courier in just over one week.

Phil