WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Nikon D2x DSLR

Old 14-12-05, 11:12
Admin

Default Nikon D2x DSLR

Although 12mp sounds a guarantee to great images, that is only a part of what the camera is about. In truth, for most purposes you will never see much difference between 6mp and 12mp, though it does allow you to crop substantially and still have an image capable of a good print or publication at a sensible size (which is mighty handy in the bird photography world)

The Nikon D2x, unlike the big Canons, still uses the same sensor size as previous Nikons, so it does give this 12.8mp + the 1.5x crop factor that occurs when you attach a 35mm based lens.... great for telephoto photography, but not good news for landscape guys.

I have never owned a pro body camera before (even my Nikon F100 was not that calibre), the obvious difference is that they weigh a lot and are built to stand up to the rigours of hard daily use... as well as being sealed well enough to withstand the elements.

AF speed is suitably faster than with most cameras, as well as almost non-existant shutter-lag and the camera ready to take a photo almost the instant you switch it on. Responsiveness is the keyword here, it is desirable in the world of amateur photography... but absolutely essential in most areas of professional photography. Frame rates of 8fps may seem over the top but the duration of a spectacular scene is often short, so it is vital to cover your bases with as many shots as possible... it could be the difference between a £50 shot and something that will help secure your financial security for life.

One thing that is amazing is the battery the d2x comes with, at 67% after two days of shooting and playing around (yep, you can check battery life to the % point)... god knows why i purchased a spare.

One aspect of having so many densely packed pixels in the sensor is one of movement blur. A tiny bit of camera shake will cover more pixels than that on a less densely packed sensor, stability is vital.
Old 15-01-06, 22:02

Since the firmware update all my camera shake/suprisingly blurred pics have gone away. It's now as reliable as the D100 for a sharp picture.

Best SLR camera on the market.

Last edited by GavinM; 15-01-06 at 22:05.
Old 30-01-06, 01:41

I wish I could have held out until I could afford one. I "settled" on the D-50 (but I am still VERY happy with my purchase).

There is no fate that can not be surmounted by scorn.
- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus
Old 30-01-06, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
One thing that is amazing is the battery the d2x comes with, at 67% after two days of shooting and playing around (yep, you can check battery life to the % point)... god knows why i purchased a spare.
Andy, perhaps I am the god that you are thinking of (during my working life I was often referred to as "Oh God" - I can't think why).
It is probably through force of habit and bad experiences that we buy a back-up battery - one just never knows, and when it is too late, it is too ***?& late!

Roger