WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Flash or Constant light

Old 09-09-14, 12:20

Default Flash or Constant light

Hi there,
I currently have a flash setup which I bought from Micansu as well as a set of constant lights. In most cases, I use the flash setup and the constants lighting is almost unused.
Could anyone give me some advice how I can make use of the "constant Light setup".
Old 09-09-14, 13:36
Super Moderator

As I see it a constant light set up will allow you to shoot at a faster rate (no recycle time to worry about) so can be good for subjects where a quick shot might be needed such as catching a child's expression. The disadvantages are the heat output which can make it uncomfortable for your subject and the fact that they deliver less light so you need to push the ISO up to get a decent shutter speed.

In theory a flash set up will give you more controllable light and as the output is much higher will allow you to shoot at base ISO. It is much easier to shoot hi key shots with flash as it is much simpler to blow the background. When I was looking to get a studio light set up I opted for flash as it suits my needs better and seems much more versatile. I have yet to come across a situation where I have wished for a constant light set up instead. In your situation I would be tempted to sell the constant light set up and spend the money on an extra flash head or some modifiers.

Tags
constant lighting, flash, photography lighting