WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Discussion on Photo of the Week

sticking neck out (again)

Old 04-03-08, 10:31
Chris

Default sticking neck out (again)

I know the moderator's choice is their choice, but after a few weeks during which I had hoped there might be some variety, I am left with the impresssion that this gallery has a bit of the character of an advertising agency short list. In one case, (nothing personal Sharon, as you know I like a lot of your images for their beauty and social commentary), advertising dangerous rubbish left or deliberately placed on the beach.

Any chance of some reflection of the very wide scope of subject matter posted on the gallery as a whole?
Old 04-03-08, 13:49

Nothing like this to really make one look at the gallery in depth again.

Not a mod so these are my personal thoughts.

Not sure I see the same ' character of an advertising agency short list ' that you do Chris, but rather images that stand out as a result of the thought and effort that has gone into creating them.

As for Sharons image then I really fail to understand how you view it as advertising dangerous rubbish left or deliberately placed on the beach. I could be wrong but I see it as a carefully staged scene that captures the emotions of a holiday in sunny Corfu.

Don
Old 04-03-08, 14:02

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I probably shouldn't comment since I rarely post anything on WPF anymore but I will say that I find the images, this week's anyway, too contrived for my taste. Gorgeous images that I wouldn't know how to create but surely there has been a landscape or wildlife shot that merits making the short list.
Old 04-03-08, 18:10

Do the moderators get together via web to decide on "Pic of the Week" or do they take it in turns? What ever - it might help if a very short critique was given by them pointing out why they chose it - such as style - difficulty - originality etc.
So far I have no no difficulty with any of the choices - they have all been first rate examples of the photographers art.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 04-03-08, 18:41
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Not sure I see the same ' character of an advertising agency short list ' that you do Chris, but rather images that stand out as a result of the thought and effort that has gone into creating them.

Don
Don I appoint you my diplomatic correspondent forthwith, so much more gently put.

Like Andy I don't think I actually have a problem with the individual shots except that I do draw the line at branded bottles on the beach - if it was Corfu, my memory is that one did the drinking on the Taverna terrace and it was local hooch in unmarked bottles. More the strong concentration on staged narrow subject spectrum shots. A lot of thought and effort can also go in to framing and correctly exposing a landscape - as Whistler said in his famous libel trial, it wasn't the time it took to do a painting he was charging £3000 for (c1900 prices), but the lifetime's experience.
Old 04-03-08, 19:28

Well, the moderators have their choice but it would be helpful if a proper critique was given so we philistine folk (me) can have a bit more understanding of why they picked each image. The main criteria at the moment seems to be modern or 'arty' which by and large does not appeal to me. Not that that matters and consensus will never be reached but explanations please.
Old 04-03-08, 19:39

May I respectfully remind you all that the photo of the week that depicts a corona bottle on a beach is NOT open for critique. Its creator did not opt to ask for any critique on the photo upload form nor uploaded it to the critique board. Please respect the wishes of the photo's creator.
Old 04-03-08, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Well, the moderators have their choice but it would be helpful if a proper critique was given so we philistine folk (me) can have a bit more understanding of why they picked each image. The main criteria at the moment seems to be modern or 'arty' which by and large does not appeal to me. Not that that matters and consensus will never be reached but explanations please.
POTW is not about critique instead its a mention of those who are uploading outstanding images. We do not judge the photos, we simply pick them according to our own taste.
Old 04-03-08, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Do the moderators get together via web to decide on "Pic of the Week" or do they take it in turns? What ever - it might help if a very short critique was given by them pointing out why they chose it - such as style - difficulty - originality etc.
So far I have no no difficulty with any of the choices - they have all been first rate examples of the photographers art.
The moderators choice POTW is selected as follows:-

Throughout the week we scan and keep a note of any photo(s) that we consider to be outstanding according to our own taste and interest. Each of us moderators then nominate ONE and if two or more moderators choose the same photo then its is declared as POTW. If there are no matches then we nominates our second choice, often one or more moderators second choice is a first choice of another moderator.
Old 04-03-08, 22:11

Hi Steve - I think you will find the corona bottle shot is open for critique - I certainly commented when it first came out - so I think are all the other POTW's so far. Also IMO I think it might help beginners if the moderators could give some pointers as to what helps make an outstanding shot.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!