WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Question

Old 14-11-07, 22:13

Default Question

Question: I use an Olympus FE100 and I want to photgraph some athletes at a karate competetion, but i don't know how to adjust the speed or even if it's possible to adjust it in this camera...

How should I do it?
Old 15-11-07, 02:00

Looking at the specs this looks like a fully auto camera (no manual modes). Readings a users comment about the long time delay between pressing the button and taking the shot suggests it is not idea for action photography.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 15-11-07 at 02:03.
Old 15-11-07, 09:07

The only way to assess your camera as Rob says is to read the spec. All digital cameras are little computers and it is important to understand the software and how it can be used to the best advantage in any given situation. Is the camera adjustable on ISO settings, because I presume this event will be taken indoors. As there is some speed involved I would set my ISO to 400, but the nice thing is you can see your result these days on the spot, so if that fails you can take more. I don't know how far the ISO goes but if needed go higher as you want to capture speed. But be careful as the higher you go the more noise you get. Most cameras are set on auto white light settings so lighting shouldn't be a problem as I suspect flashes would put the karate players off. If you see others doing it and the referees don't mind then see if it improves the picture.

The best thing with any camera is go out there and experiment. Go to the local park and take photographs of kids running around. Go and use your camera to the limits and experiment with different settings so take it off auto! Thats the best advice I can give.
Kit lens 18-55
Nikon 70 - 300mm
Old 15-11-07, 09:28

Aye,

It does look as though this is a fully automatic camera with no manual override of the settings possible. You will have to practice to get the results you are after. As Tony suggests, going to the park is going to be a useful learning exercise. You could also try taking some pictures at the local karate club before the competition, this will give you some experience in how much delay there is between pressing the button and the camera actually taking the picture. Having learned about this delay, you will be able to compensate and get pictures of the action as it happens rather than just after it has happened.

It will take a lot of practice to get the pictures you are after, and you will have lots of pictures where they are not as you had hoped, but it's all useful experience that will serve you well.

Good luck.

Duncan
Old 15-11-07, 22:59

Aye;
Low indoor light and speed of sportic actions don't go well with PnS or entry level cameras. Don't waste your time much and sorry to be rather negative but tried to give you one worthy answer.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 16-11-07, 07:25

Well, being digital, it costs nothing to have a go - the camera is much more suited to non action stuff. You may not succeed in getting the sort of things you're after but you might get the odd lucky shot - and you can have a go at getting some odd angles on the competitors when they're not actually leaping about - some interesting candids etc. Have a go - expect the worst - but who knows! Have fun -does'nt cost anything to try!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 16-11-07, 10:26

I second what Greypoint says. Half the fun of photography is learning to get the best out of what equipment you have. Then you will fully understand the short coming of certain types of equipment and what future upgrades in equipment you will gain the most benefit from. You could have the best equipment in the world and still take very poor shots.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 16-11-07, 15:26

Ok, thanks.
I might use my father's EOS 500N.