WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Can you believe it?

Old 23-10-08, 18:58

Unhappy Can you believe it?

Today I was helping at a local show the public the birds event looking out at geese. Early on, soon after we had set up our telescopes, a gentlemen came along and took an expensive camera and zoom lens out of his bag. I'd estimate the combination at £2000. The then set it up on a cheap tripod whose legs didn't spread out much and then left the whole combination while he went off to get some refreshments. It was windy today and so the inevitable happened. While we were watching the geese there was a clatter and the whole lot had blown over and the filter came off the front of the lens.

I couldn't belive that a) he had used such a poor tripod under such expensixe equipment and b) that he had gone off leaving it unattended.

Hopefully he will not repeat his mistake.
Old 23-10-08, 21:26

Takes all sorts!
Old 23-10-08, 21:42

Sadly this is a common occurence..... it boggles my mind that some people are this dumb!

My 3 webs and blogs....
http://www.nigelblake.co.uk
http://ngbdigital.blogspot.com/
http://ngbjets.blogspot.com/
Old 23-10-08, 22:16

This is a very common occurence in reasonably 'secure' locations, for example press pits, where laptops, camera lenses and transmiters are left unattended (but they usually have ID paint or agency logos all over them....freelancers tend to be a bit more careful, as they've paid for the kit themselves!).....worst offences I've seen are at cricket matches. Once saw an Eos1 (a film one, but it was a few years ago) with 600mm f4 left outside the public 'refreshments' doorway with loads of people about, but no owner in sight. It took nearly 3/4 of my pint before the owner turned up from the other end of the field!

For this sort of thing to happen in a completely public/ public access area is idiotic in the extreme!!!...maybe the owner needed the insurance money???
Old 24-10-08, 11:38

They are all pretty robust nowadays. My FZ30 bounced on the limestone pavement when I dropped it at Ingleborough earlier in the year. There is a scratch on one corner of the body but otherwise its OK. My old Olympus regularly swam in beer.