WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Tutorial: create a frame in Photoshop

Old 31-05-07, 20:13

Default Tutorial: create a frame in Photoshop

Here is an easy way to create a frame. I use CS2 but I am sure it works the same in most version.

Open the image that needs a frame and create a thin black border:

> Go to the image menu and select "Canvas size" to open the "Canvas size" dialog.
> Select the "Relative" tick box, set the units to pixels, set the width and height to 4, and set "Canvas extension colour" to "Black".
> Click okay.

Now create a wide white border:

> Open the "Canvas size" dialog.
> Select the "Relative" tick box, set the units to pixels, set the width and height to 40, and set "Canvas extension colour" to "White".
> Click okay.

Now here is the neat bit. Create an area at the bottom for the title text.

> Open the "Canvas size" dialog.
> Select the "Relative" tick box.
> Select the units as pixels, set the height to 40, set "Canvas extension colour" to "White", and in the Anchor grid select the top middle box.
> Click okay.

You can now draw text in the space at the bottom of the image. Once you are happy with the text, flatten the image, and save.

I have attached 3 images which illustrate the first 3 steps.

The really neat bit is that this can be recorded as an action and hence it can be automated. (That is why I suggested that you select the "Relative" option.) To record the action, go to the Actions window, and click on the Record button (see the attached picture). The Record dialog will pop up. Enter a suitable name such as "Create frame" and then click on "Okay". Now you can create the frame and title text using the above instructions but do not flatten the image. Finally go to the Actions window, and click on the Stop button (see the attached picture). Now you have created an Action that you can run whenever you want to create a frame.

To create a frame, open an image, and then go to the Actions window, highlight the action e.g. "Create frame", and click on the Play button.

And there you have it.

Of course you can tailor the frame to your own tastes, so just use the example above as the starting point for you to work out what suits you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame1.JPG (23.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg frame2.JPG (23.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg frame3.JPG (23.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Action.JPG (60.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ActionStop.jpg (60.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Leif; 31-05-07 at 20:18.
Old 31-05-07, 20:29

I can't believe I've been using a long-winded method when I could be doing this instead!