WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

2/3rds difference between RAW convertors

Old 08-01-06, 11:55

Default 2/3rds difference between RAW convertors

As per a previous post I am looking for another RAW converter. I already have Bibble Pro and this morning had a revisit. Beforehand I looked in Nikon Capture but it takes so long and I was showing my lady some photos of our Son did not want to wait ages so, I opened Bibble.

Bibble is real fast and performs well but then I noticed the histogram...

I use the histogram to obtain near enough good exposure in camera so 1/3 stop either way is an acceptable adjustment in the digital darkroom but anymore I feel its a poor photograph.

Nikon Capture shows a histogram as I remembered in camera but Bibble showed approx 2/3rds of a stop darker, hence needing more exposure compensation and intern creating more NOISE.

Take a look below at the differences, these are not the actual images taken this morning but were still on the card. Notice there is no exposure compensation applied in both cases. The images are totally unedited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nikoncapture7952.jpg (177.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bibble7952.jpg (143.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-01-06, 13:52

Stephen - It's not unknown for imaging software to have bugs. It strikes me that some thing is wrong with the Nikon program when it is orders of magnitude slower than other programs which essentially doing the same thing. To wait 5 minutes for it to process would be unacceptable in a comercial workflow environment.

Why don't you post some questions about the software on the nikon.co.uk support site.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 08-01-06, 14:52

I agree that Nikon Capture is slow, and I have heard that a lot of people use Bibble.

I am really surprised to see how two Raw coverters view the same image so differently though. I put 2 tabs up to toggle between the images.

How different is the end result image ? Perhaps try something with a background that will record as pale ( blue or grey ) but not white to compare noise levels after processing with each converter.

DP Review uses those colours and noise shows up well.

Don
Old 08-01-06, 15:18

I was looking to use Bibble to convert an image of James but discovering every image was 2/3rds of a stop down compared with Nikon Capture I used NC instead. I found other differences in both tone and colour between the two. A quick re-visit of pixmatic RAW converter shows correct brightness/exposure but no graduated histogram do I felt I was doing a bit of guesswork with exposure compensation.