WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Any other Mac users?/image display in forum

Old 12-01-06, 19:05
Chris

Question Any other Mac users?/image display in forum

I doubt if its worth asking PC users, as I gather images show slightly darker on their screens anyway...but who knows?

Can someone explain to me what happens to the colour and quality of photos as viewed on this site (and similar ones using vBulletin with reduced size images)?

Obviously the .jpg compression process makes images look slightly washed out, but there seems to be a second stage of degradation within the browser, or possibly the site software. By that I mean that if you copy an image you have posted onto the site back off the site and view it in your normal image programme, the 2nd stage of degradation is reversed. The colour has been stored, but not displayed.

This also applies to images obviously posted by PC users, they look far better copied back (and able to enlarge etc)

Is this a vBulletin feature?

I ask as i don't like jacking up images more than absolutely essential.

Using mostly GraphicConverter 5.7 + occasionally PS Elements 2 & Firefox (tho no difference trying in Netscape 7 or Safari) OS10.3.9 on 15"powerbook

Chris