WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Camera Protectors

Old 21-02-06, 17:56

Default Camera Protectors

Has anyone got or used a camera protector for either waterproofing or sound prevention.

Whilst out and about this time of year I find myself hiding my camera inside my jacket as soon as it rains - invariably it's me then that gets wet and cold becuase I can't close my jacket! I know a quick fix for this is wrap a poly bag round the camera. Also I do get concerned about the noise of the shutter on my 350d especially when I'm close up to a subject.
Old 21-02-06, 19:21

John,
For what it's worth, maybe try looking into a military surpless store and consider the waterproof bags that soldiers use to swim across rivers with their kit in, works for me.Cost about £3.50 and can be tailored to your lens /camera dimensions, with velcro.
Agree about noise (sound) concerns, my brother is getting me some neoprene and we are going to "try" and make a "sound blimp case".Some of the problems we see are that we will have to decide which of the many functions on a digital camera do we really need to see and leave uncovered for function and access.I don't/can't remember which camera you use, but as an example on a 2X/2H, there is a "ambient light sensor" on the front of the prism head which means we would have to cut a hole for this etc etc, if we are successful ,I will let you know, assuming you are still interested and have not already resolved the problem yourself.
regards Subzero.
Old 22-02-06, 11:03

Thank subzero - I use the 350d it did cross my mind that access to some of the functions might be difficult with the camera encased. I also frequently use the Sigma 80-400 lens, similarly access to the AF switch and the focussing ring could be an issue.
I can get a couple of the water proof bags for a pound with a draw string close from the poundshop, we use them all the time as laundry bags - they aren't camoflaged or anything but neither was the camera protector I was looking at .
I can tolerate the noise to some extent. I had noticed that as long as the subject remains or returns they can become used to the sound as long as they can't see you.
I'll give it ago and see if it solves my problem.
Old 22-02-06, 20:21

John,
thanks for your reply, if you have not already seen it, perhaps you might like to look at www.lenscoat.com
This may give you some ideas of your own for a home made version??
regards Subzero.
PS= I have no connection with above, and if Admin are unhappy with ref to other sites please remove.
Old 08-03-06, 02:16

BTW- you can now get LensCoats from www.warehouseexpress.com if you decide to go that route.
Old 08-03-06, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan
BTW- you can now get LensCoats from www.warehouseexpress.com if you decide to go that route.
Couldn't find them on their site?
Old 08-03-06, 12:48
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f
Couldn't find them on their site?
HERE

I was looking at these on the main U.S. lenscoat site last week, now WE are distributing them. Just have to find out if the 600/4 AF-S II will fit my AFS-I
Old 08-03-06, 15:06

I've been looking at some of the products on wildlife photographer supplies.
http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/